Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advices on repairing 1W blue laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagicdud

Hey guys so I brought a **broken link removed** earlier this month. It work great until I accidentally drop it from the table yesterday. The laser will still trun on but the brightness significantly decrease and now it just don't look like a laser but LED. The batteries is fully charged.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Usually a laser pointer is not perfect in cooling system design. A long time continuous pointing will be harmful to the laser, and the output power would be decreased.
Further more, temperature would affect the pointing result of laser pointer.
If operation temperature is low, it would need a few seconds to preheat the laser pointer until projecting a powerful beam.

Dropping a laser is usually terminal. The nickname the laserheads give when you break it is "Led" as it looks like a normal LED.

I strongly suspect it is beyone repair.

You'll find lots of people with the same issues on here - https://laserpointerforums.com/

Static will kill a laser and make it dim like that too. You should always have a decent sized cap across the laser wires, close to the body. Good quality lasers used to come with that cap already installed.

Its true that laser diodes, if they don't die completely, behave like LED's at the end of their life. But when you say'it looks like an LED' - do you mean its non coherent? As in, its no longer a 'spot' beam but divergent, like a 20 degree LED? I'm sure its dead, but maaaaybe you've dislodged the collimating lens, because the deiodes themselves emit a divergent beam that must be correcting by a lens.

If you can, take photo's and post them here, one with the lens mounted, and one with it removed. As the othes have said, chances are its just become an expensive LED because they are so delicate anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back