Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need advice: which are the most recommendable 8 and 28 pin PIC micros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get hold of them then the 16F883 or 886 are even better as they have an internal clock.

Mike.

ArtemisGoldfish said:
I use the PIC16F876A, it's nice. And it's the only one I've used, but I think that's besides the point.

I use that as well, it's a nice chip because it's 'skinny DIP', so takes up very little board space - but is packed full of features.

MicroChip are continually bring out new devices, and the modern trend is to include internal oscillators, which are really useful.

8-pin: 12F683 because of calibrated internal oscillator.

28-pin: 16F913 and 916 because they suit may particular needs and price.

Last edited:
donniedj said:
8-pin: 12F683 because of calibrated internal oscillator.

28-pin: 16F613 and 616 because they suit may particular needs and price.

The 16F613 doesn't appear to exist and the 616 is a 14 pin device. :confused:

Mike

I use following
8-Pin
12F629 - For simple control tasks
12F675 - If application needs ADC
12F683 - If application needs ADC/PWM

18-Pin
16F628A

28-Pin
16F73 - Again for simple control tasks and also for PWM
16F876A - For ADC/PWM

These choices are based mainly on required number of I/Os and the final cost of the design.

mabauti said:
I have used the 16f628 .

That all depends on what you are comfortable with, how much processing power you need, and how much money you have.

There is a point where the cost outweighs the comfort zone. Personal preference and comfort are often more important to a hobbyist than paying $4 instead of $2 for a part.

D.

cadstarsucks said:
That all depends on what you are comfortable with, how much processing power you need, and how much money you have.

There is a point where the cost outweighs the comfort zone. Personal preference and comfort are often more important to a hobbyist than paying $4 instead of $2 for a part.

Or perhaps paying only $1.29 for a 628A is important as well?.

cadstarsucks said:

D.

Have you changed your tune? Are you saying that there may be a situation when PICs may be better suited than ARM? Gosh!!

Mike.

I use 16F627 and 628 for general interface applications (i.e. display controllers) but my favourite PICs are the 18F1220/1320 for medium projects.

I strongly recommend moving to the 18F devices - they are soooo much better than the 16F for flexibility.

I was a firm 16F fanatic until I tried the 18F series - if I didn't have a couple of hundred 627's in stock I probably wouldn't ever consider going back to the 16F series and use purely 18F series.

picbits said:
I use 16F627 and 628 for general interface applications (i.e. display controllers) but my favourite PICs are the 18F1220/1320 for medium projects.

I strongly recommend moving to the 18F devices - they are soooo much better than the 16F for flexibility.

I was a firm 16F fanatic until I tried the 18F series - if I didn't have a couple of hundred 627's in stock I probably wouldn't ever consider going back to the 16F series and use purely 18F series.

I still occasionally use 16C84's, I've scavenged a fair number of them over the years!.

I've got a load of the old 16C72a's knocking around - probably a hundred or so of them but as they are surface mount and one time programmable they are a bit of a pain to use in development applications. Mess up a line of code and its a good half hour with the soldering iron trying not to mess up the freshly made PCB lmao

Pommie said:
Have you changed your tune? Are you saying that there may be a situation when PICs may be better suited than ARM? Gosh!!

Mike.

LOL not at all... my position has always been that what is technically superior and more processing power for your money is not always right for the individual person or application.

There are many situations that it does not makes sense to put a micro in at all, some that just cross the line where it is inconvenient to do it in hardware, and some that the added complexity of software is justified by flexibility (assuming the hardware design can be reprogrammed)

One thing I would NEVER suggest to a hobbyist it an OTP. Those things are a pain even when you have the resources to deal with them!

That being said I thought I had figured out a hobbyist app that the PIC would be better suited, model train automation, but then when I looked at it there was no serial interface on the dollar parts to allow that application to run. So...I did not bother pursuing it to a worthwhile post.

D.

picbits said:

And stock on hand is about the best reason there is for not using something new! :D

cadstarsucks said:
That being said I thought I had figured out a hobbyist app that the PIC would be better suited, model train automation, but then when I looked at it there was no serial interface on the dollar parts to allow that application to run. So...I did not bother pursuing it to a worthwhile post.

No requirement for a hardware serial port, it's trivial to do in software - and PIC's were commonly used for that exact model railway purpose many years ago.

I agree with your OTP stance, not worth the bother!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back