Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Advice On The Best Type of Switch For This Application...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Hi all,

I need to know what type of switch I can use that will do the following:

Basically it would act like a transistor or MOSFET, and that may be what I need for this but just want to double check to see what else I can maybe use. When I send 5v to the gate/switch for example, the switch will OPEN and allow current (25A max) to flow to my load. When the voltage going to the gate/switch is less than 5v, the switch will CLOSE, and prevent any current to flow to my load.

So basically, this switch needs to be able to handle 25A at least, and trigger from 5v.

Thanks

Just want to point out that you're using "open" and "close" backwards. Normally we consider a switch closed when current flows through it, and open when current cannot. (Think of what a physical electric switch looks like. You're apparently thinking more of a water valve, which lets water flow when it's open.)

Other than that, sorry, can't help you, but hopefully an expert will be along shortly ...

Just want to point out that you're using "open" and "close" backwards. Normally we consider a switch closed when current flows through it, and open when current cannot. (Think of what a physical electric switch looks like. You're apparently thinking more of a water valve, which lets water flow when it's open.)

Other than that, sorry, can't help you, but hopefully an expert will be along shortly ...

lol Wow what was I thinking when I wrote that, but yes you are correct. I was completely thinking backwards at the time of writing that.

Last edited:
At first blush, a MOSFET sounds like a good candidate. Can you post a sketch of what you want to do including what the load will be and if it is connected to ground or to the high side of the power for it? What voltage does it run at? Where is the 5 volts coming from? How fast does it switch on and off?

I think I'm going to go with the MOSFET idea since I think I figured out how to hook it up now :)

The motor at full load can draw 25A, and it requires 36v. The 5 volts is coming from another power source separate from the main power source.

I'd like the switch to switch between On-Off fairly quickly, almost instantly.

I posted a simple schematic of the circuit, let me know if it's missing something important. :)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 8.49.55 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-14 at 8.49.55 PM.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Make sure you add a protection diode (cathode to plus) across the motor to suppress turn-off spikes that could zap the transistor.

Not a good choice for the MOSFET. You want a logic level MOSFET since you are using 5 volts on the gate to turn it on. Give this a read as an example.

Ron

1N4002 would do just fine. I also suggest you note what I posted as to the choice of MOSFET if you plan on 5 volt logic to turn the MOSFET on.

Ron

Right I saw that and will look into it after I figure out how I just destroyed my microprocessor lol.

Attached is how I have my system currently setup, and for some reason, I'm guessing the 36v's ground and the Microprocessor's ground cannot be connected together, as when I did this, my micro-controller just stopped working.

But if I don't do this, the MOSFET doesn't get it's gate triggered at all, so I'm confused on how I'm suppose to implement this basic system. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-15 at 12.11.37 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-15 at 12.11.37 PM.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 176
The two grounds must be connected so that the MOSFET has a ground reference to the Microprocessor signal.

So how are you connecting them together? Make sure the the motor current doesn't somehow run through the uP ground. You want to connect the grounds together near the MOSFET, not at the power supplies.

If grounding is a problem, then you could use a solid-state relay, which has and opto-coupler isolator built in.

The two grounds must be connected so that the MOSFET has a ground reference to the Microprocessor signal.

So how are you connecting them together? Make sure the the motor current doesn't somehow run through the uP ground. You want to connect the grounds together near the MOSFET, not at the power supplies.

If grounding is a problem, then you could use a solid-state relay, which has and opto-coupler isolator built in.

Could you point me to where I could get the right solid-state relay (for my particular application), as now I have to spend another $100 for a new microprocessor and don't want to risk this happening again lol?

Glady appreciated if you can.

Thanks!

Yeah, a quick Google search is giving me a lot of results for, DC Input and AC ouput for the Solid-State Relay, but I can't seem to find one that is DC Input and DC Output, or maybe it doesn't matter?

Here's an example of one I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/25A-SSR-Solid-State-Relay/dp/B004HZN628

For the most part, it seems simple to hookup, but rather be safe than sorry this time around :)

Last edited:
A door or a window opens and closes.
But a transistor or a switch turns on or turns off.

Yeah, a quick Google search is giving me a lot of results for, DC Input and AC output for the Solid-State Relay, but I can't seem to find one that is DC Input and DC Output, or maybe it doesn't matter?
Yes it matters. AC output relays typically use TRIACs or SCRs which are unsuitable for DC. Google "DC output solid state relay".

Last edited:
You could use an opto-isolator such as **broken link removed** to drive the MOSFET.

Make sure you add a resistor on the input to limit the current to less than the 50mA max. rating.

A door or a window opens and closes.
But a transistor or a switch turns on or turns off.

Standard switch nomenclature: N.O. = normally "open" N.C. = normally "closed" ;)

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back