Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Advice on First Scope - Tek 2246

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I had it switched to AC coupling. By "zoom" I meant the volts/div was at the lowest setting. 2mV/div I believe.

So for looking at the AC component riding on DC you use AC coupling at the vertical input (blocking the DC level). Then you increase the vertical gain allowing you to see the AC. That is how we look at ripple. Did you ever see the sine wave fro your transformer before the rectification? The scope will display the actual peak to peak value of the sine wave.

Ron

No, I was only trying some of the things you mentioned at first. I didn't want to try and connect anything to AC, even 12.6VAC.

I do have some extra probes, is it possible to view the AC signals after the 12VDC on CH1 and the 12.6VAC on CH2, or do I have to do it separately?

No, I was only trying some of the things you mentioned at first. I didn't want to try and connect anything to AC, even 12.6VAC.

I do have some extra probes, is it possible to view the AC signals after the 12VDC on CH1 and the 12.6VAC on CH2, or do I have to do it separately?
You can't view them at the same time, since they do not share a common (the transformer input to the bridge rectifier is floating with respect to the DC output common). To view multiple channels at the same time, they must share a common (ground) connection.

Edit: If you connected one scope probe common to the transformer output and the other probe common to the DC output common at the same time you would likely blow the diode bridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back