Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need Advice on 12vdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustafa56

Good Day All

I have a neccesity to operate 4 different circuits out of a 12vdc, 800ma wall adapter. I need to deliver to separate 6vdc and two separate 9 vdc circuits from the same single 12vdc wall transformer.

1. One 6vdc circuit wil drive a module for two EL (electroluminiscent) strips.

2. The other 6vdc will drive approximately 30 white LED's (all 3.3 vdc, 20ma, which have been set up in groups of 4 LED's in parallel with the respective resistor for 6vdc).

3. One of the 9vdc circuits will drive an LED flasher board (total consumption is 9vdc, 40ma).

4. The other 9vdc circuit will drive an LED stroboscopic board (also total consumption is 9vdc, 40ma).

How can I divide these voltage requirements? I suppose the use of Zener diodes and voltage rectifiers may be the solution, but since my knowledge of electronics is just the good old basics, I have no idea how to create the circuit.

Will appreciate any input, ideas, possible solutions and, of course, any diagram on how to accomplish this.

Many Thanks.

If all of the LEDs are in parallel you'll use 600 ma of the 800 ma there. We don't know how much power #1 uses so hard to comment overall. Advise on load for #1.

If the totals work out you could use LM317, LM7806 or similar 3 terminal regulators.

I've only got the time to mention this but not work it out - provide multiple 6 volt or 4 volt supplies from the 12 volts to get the current requirement down. Got the picture in my mind but no way to sketch for you. Someone here will get what I mean and explain or advise that it won't work.

Another way of doing it would be to get a transformer that has multiple voltage outputs, I found one at wallmart that would output DC 1.5v, 3v, 6v, 7.5v, 9v, and 12v if I recall correctly. Then you would take it apart and use the transformer with a bunch of different outputs. Of course to drive everything at the same time you would have to make a regulator circuit for each output.

I strongly recommend to rearrange the LED-group as i drawed - so need only @200mA.

Attachments

• sup.gif
    sup.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 361
What is the design voltage across the 3R3 resistor?

If it is 1.35V then PNP transistor pass 400mA. That's 40mA for each LED branch. The PNP would need to be fully turn ON to provide that. But then there is no reason to use a transistor because it has nothing to regulate.

This is a PNP current generator. On the 3R3 resistor always drop 0,7V, if the red LED forward voltage 1,4V...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back