Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a timer diagram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a close up of my protoboard.

I used an LED to simulate where the pump will be.

Attachments

• DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    803.9 KB · Views: 166
HALLELUJAH

Damn transistors were backwards.

Scratch that, works great thanks for the help.

Last edited:
One last issue, I built it and it works, but when the motor is attached. When the relay gets close to the time to release it "chatters" and never releases.

Do you have a protection diode across the motor? See the one on the relay coil? Try putting one on the motor the same way.

No, wait - take D1 out of the circuit and try it again. This is going to be ground bounce from the load retriggering the device. Too much load for the power supply, pulls the supply down, bounces up again when disconnected. Removing D1 will make the "off" time as long as the "on" time.

Last edited:
What is the difference between the power supply voltage when the motor is on and when it is off?

That's the problem, the power supply jumps up a couple of volts. Now the question is what's the simplest way to fix it. Is than an SPST or DPDT relay or what?

shorting out d1, nothing happens.

Wait - no, I didn't say SHORT it, I said "take D1 out of the circuit "!

Try it without D1. Leave D2, that's a protection diode.

Also remember that after trying to run it without D2, shorting out D1, and putting the transistors in backwards, those two poor little three-legged 2N2222 troopers may have gone off to the land of eternal silicon rest and need replacement.

Last edited:
Wait - no, I didn't say SHORT it, I said "take D1 out of the circuit "!

Try it without D1. Leave D2, that's a protection diode.

Also remember that after trying to run it without D2, shorting out D1, and putting the transistors in backwards, those two poor little three-legged 2N2222 troopers may have gone off to the land of eternal silicon rest and need replacement.

Nah, they still work. I thought you still needed to take the cap to ground. Let me try taking it out completely.

The cap will still go to ground when the power supply is shut off, it just takes longer.

duffy,

One thing What may be the problem is that the output transistor (Q1?) spends a lot of time in the linear region, before the relay trips OFF. And it is still in the linear region even after that. I watched that on the o-scope. With just the relay, it's no big deal. But, when zone added the motor, as the relay tripped OFF and the motor stopped it probably allowed supply voltage to climb, increasing the voltage for the relay, and causing the relay to trip back ON. This restarted the motor, which caused the supply voltage fall, tripping the relay back OFF, stopping the motor, increasing the supply voltage, tripping ON the relay...and on and on and on. That was the chatter on release, Eventually C1 will charge enough to take the transistors into cutoff.

I think the solution would be a "stiffer" power supply, or a separate supply for the motor, or a switching circuit that is more absolute in transition...think Schmidt trigger.

Ken

Last edited:
duffy,

One thing What may be the problem is that the output transistor (Q1?) spends a lot of time in the linear region, before the relay trips OFF. And it is still in the linear region even after that. I watched that on the o-scope. With just the relay, it's no big deal. But, when zone added the motor, as the relay tripped OFF and the motor stopped it probably allowed supply voltage to climb, increasing the voltage for the relay, and causing the relay to trip back ON. This restarted the motor, which caused the supply voltage fall, tripping the relay back OFF, stopping the motor, increasing the supply voltage, tripping ON the relay...and on and on and on. That was the chatter on release, Eventually C1 will charge enough to take the transistors into cutoff.

I think the solution would be a "stiffer" power supply, or a separate supply for the motor, or a switching circuit that is more absolute in transition...think Schmidt trigger.

Ken

I tried a more robust PS, same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back