Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a technical term for a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff321

The switch I want will have 4 or 5 positions.
Low voltage Max 14 VDC at one amp

I'd prefer rotary but a slide would work
1) I want a position where no power is transmitted for off
2 ) a lead to connect the switch to Positive
3) and the 3 or 4 other positions to connect the power to different circuits by connecting them to positive - only one circuit is powered at a time.
The negative will be common. The switch need not have any negative terminal.

I have nary a clue what to call this switch.

What is the best vernacular to use to search for such a switch?

Rotary switches come in two forms "Shorting or make before break" and "Non-shorting - break before make". The former is used for selecting audio sources.

You can sometimes find rotary switches with designations as 2-12 positions or whatever. These have adjustable stops for anything between 2 and 12 positions.

So, you need a minimum of 1 pole. More are OK. Then select the number of positions. For the first position, you just don't connect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back