Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a tachometer calibrator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_K

I have several tachometers for V8 Chevy cars. They all read too high, so I have modified them with a pot in place of the original fixed thin-film resistor.

Now I need a signal source to use as an input. I assume a 12 volt square wave would work. I have assembled an astable multivibrator using a CD4093. I have the output of the oscillator driving a 2N3904, but the tach reads nothing.

The circuit is pretty basic. The oscillator works and I adjust the frequency with a pot to get it set accurately. The 4093 drives the 2N3904 through a 4.7K resistor to the base of the 3904. The 3904's emitter is at ground. I connected the collector to the tach input, but I get nothing. The tach has 12 volts and ground also connected.

I'm wondering if I should have a resistor (possibly an inductor) between the 12 volts and the tach input???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jack

NEVER MIND. I added the resistor and now it works!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back