Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a simple, one-shot circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsa1520

I need to build a circuit that, after receiving a relay input, provides a momentary dry contact closure. I will need to use parts that are readily available (from Radio Shack or equiv). I would also like to build a second circuit that provides a 30-second (rather than momentary) contact closure. I am unable to design these circuits myself, but can follow directions that don't assume anything but basic electronic knowledge on my part. I would very much appreciate any help I receive, and will be happy to let you know the outcome of the project.
Thanks very much

For a quick, cheap, reliable one-shot circuit, it's hard to beat a 555 timer chip in monostable mode. The circuit only takes a couple of resistors and capacitors along with the 555 chip. Add a relay and voila! there you have it. Here's a link to a datasheet for a 555 chip from National Semi https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2004/11/LM555.pdf. You could likely get the same info from the datasheet section of the forum on the main page.
A diagram for the monostable (one-shot) circuit is on page 7 of the pdf datasheet. Connect your relay coil from pin 3 (output) to ground (as the normally off load) and change the component values of Ra and C to give the length of time desired.
Hope this helps.
JB

Yes ...

but in monostable mode, it requires a high-low-high pulse to get it to fire once.

To get the chip to fire once on power up, put a resitor from pin 2 (trigger) to VCC and a capacitor from pin 2 to ground. 100uF and 2.2K are values that have worked well for me.

Thx to k7elp60 for helping me out with this problem in this topic:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/winpicprog.11561/ - Also JB

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back