Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a little help with my project (Step motor driver).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckramer

Hey, I'm building a model of a construction crane. Using 3 Step motors, 3 step motor drivers and a microcontroller. Also 2 voltage regulators. Gonna use a joystick to control the step motors.

Well...anyway I'm wondering how the Step motor drivers work and where to connect the step motors. Since the step motors usually have 4 wires, (2 bright coloured and 2 dark coloured). But which output pins on the PDB??

Using following components:
3x step motors
3x PDB 3517 (www.isk.kth.se/kursinfo/6b2267/elmotorstyr/pbd3517/pbd3517.pdf )
PIC18F4431 (https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39616b.pdf)

Here is what I've designed so far:

Attachments

• circuit1.png
    circuit1.png
    390.9 KB · Views: 373
Well...anyway I'm wondering how the Step motor drivers work and where to connect the step motors. Since the step motors usually have 4 wires, (2 bright coloured and 2 dark coloured). But which output pins on the PDB??

Step motors with just four wires require a bipolar driver. However, the PDB3517 is a unipolar driver. Unless, the motor has leads for unipolar operation (5-6 leads) you can't use them on PDB3517.

Ckramer said:
Meaning 4 leads + 1 GND?

No. It's 4 leads + common supply.

A sample schematic is on the datasheet you just cited. Page 6 Figure 14.

Ok, Thanks! So if I have a motor with 5 leads, I connect them to output pins 1,2,4,5 and 13 or 14 on the PBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back