Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a Good Newbie Text Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

hack

Hi all,

I'm getting back into electronics after fifteen years. I studied the subject for two years in high school - but that was a while back. I understand the basic roles of most components and can read schematics - but don't necessarily understand all of them.

I recently picked up a book at Barnes and Noble on intro to electronics - but it was too high level. I'm looking for a detailed first year type text that I can buy. Specifically I would like to see sample circuit diagrams fully explained as to why each component was selected and it's role.

The intro book I currently have had several simple projects - but didn't explain them - so they were simply soldering excercises - with minimal knowledge gain. All of my WHY questions are still unknowns.

Thanks in advance.

hack said:
I'm looking for a detailed first year type text that I can buy. Thanks in advance.

Here's a source many folks don't think of - Thrift Stores.

Nearly every town has at least one of them, operated by a charity and dealing in hand-me-downs. If you're lucky, you can pick up some used electronic textbooks someone has outgrown. This is especially true if there is a technical school located somewhere nearby. I've found a couple that still had test questions and/or student notes inside.

Such literature can usually be purchased for pennies... in one store I haunt, they sell all textbooks for 49 cents. You can also find some real gems. I bought back issues of Popular Electronics for the years 1979-80 for 10 cents per copy. Some excellent reading.

Thrift stores are also a good source of used electronics... gadgets people discard that can be pirated for parts. They are good ego-builders, too, if you buy something, trouble-shoot it, and get it working.

Go shopping!

Attachments

• Formu-wheel.PNG
    Formu-wheel.PNG
    21 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back