Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a Formula for household electrical items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in the UK and I assume US as well, a geyser is a hot spring which made it pretty obvious to me you were talking about a shower.

Sorry to mislead you guys there, we just refer to showers... as, well....showers.
WE also have things called a spa, and a range of things similar to a jacuzzi.
Then we have to places in SA where the hot water from underground springs or something is captured and pumped into pools, where you can go and swim.
I'm a bit icky about public pools, so I would just watch other people swim, besides my tummy is so white, everybody always think I'm a milk add.:)

Here in the UK and I assume US as well, a geyser is a hot spring which made it pretty obvious to me you were talking about a shower.

Well, not so obvious, as it was a water heater and not a shower, as Arrie states. A geyser around here is when someone has a burst sprinkler head in their lawn sprinkling system.

Ah, assumptions...

Yes, and I'm sure somewhere else the word geyser is to describe a person having a real big belly/tummy.
We just call them fridges.
In any case we have to move this chatting to ****-chat, otherwise we'll get crapped upon.
Thanks for providing wonderful insight about how things work around the globe, I would not have know about your split-phase system.
And in SA stoves not using electricity uses lpg - handygas. I still say they work out more expensive that electric ovens.

In many (most?) parts of the US, natural gas (usually close to 100% methane) is distributed underground to the home at a price considerably lower than the equivalent heat value of electricity. It's distributed as a gas (not liquid), and finally to the home at very low pressure. (0.21-0.25 psig, or 6-7 inch column of H2O)

In some pollution-challenged areas, particularly California, natural gas is used to generate a lot of our electricity.

You don't call them geysers, shucks (oops, another south african term)

In the duch language it's called geiser

same pronounsiation as in south africa I asume

they are instantenious water heaters and are either on electrical power or gas

Robert-Jan

Yip, you're right.

I believe the dutch language forms the basis for my native language - afrikaans, but I do not even remember what a geyser (engligh) is called in afrikaans, we've sort of adopted the english term, same as garage (in afrikaans - motorhuis), but very few afrikaans people still use that.
the english also borrowed some words from afrikaans, such as lekker, normaly described when something tastes good, then you would say something like damn this steak is lekker. It has become a bit of a slang term here, e.g. lekker dude, see you tomorrow. Nothing to do with food, see.
etc. etc. etc.

Geyser - a hot water heater.

Named after the village in Iceland where there are "geysers"

JimB

Now that I have a bit more time, here is a link to Geysir in Iceland

A very popular stop on the tourist route from Reykjavik.

JimB

Yip, you're right.

I believe the dutch language forms the basis for my native language - afrikaans, but I do not even remember what a geyser (engligh) is called in afrikaans, we've sort of adopted the english term, same as garage (in afrikaans - motorhuis), but very few afrikaans people still use that.
the english also borrowed some words from afrikaans, such as lekker, normaly described when something tastes good, then you would say something like damn this steak is lekker. It has become a bit of a slang term here, e.g. lekker dude, see you tomorrow. Nothing to do with food, see.
etc. etc. etc.

Lekker is a fully dutch word and the discription you give is exacly the same as in dutch

motorhuis is technicaly a combination of 2 dutch words (motor and huis) and we don't use it in that way we also say garage but with the emphasis different in pronouncing the word

I met a few south african people and if they speak Afrikaans i do understand about 80% of it,

it's a form of dutch that we spoke about 100 a 150 years ago

i know it is less what they unsderstand from the dutch that is spoken now

Robert-Jan

Is there a Formula for calculating household electrical items?

I was thinking of buying a generator but I need to know how much electricity all the appliances use so that I can get the right generator for the job.

I have all the manuals for each appliance which give how much power each appliance uses.

I do not know how much power a combie boiler uses if anybody knows that information can you please share that information with me.

Well, I did not read all the posts, so it may have already been said, but why don't you just read your power meter? Just write down the time of day it is and then record the kilowatt hours displayed. Then go back the next day at the same time and write down the new current kilowatts. Then subtract the previous day's reading. From there you can convert to whatever units you like.

I need some info about servo motor.can you help me

I can help you with this advice: put your question in the apropriat forum in a new tread, BUT before doing that surf to the wikipedia site and search servo motor you might have your answer there already and if it is a spesific type google it

Robert-Jan

your best bet and actualy your only choice is to look at your bills and find the total power usage for the last months. choose the highest months and multiply by a safefty factor. after all if you have 5kw usage it wouln'd be a good idea to run a 5kw generator close to the red line. acurate power reading can be gotten from monitoring the meter wheels inside your meter box for 1 minute. but the present power co. can assist you in telling you power usage and cost /kwh.

your best bet and actualy your only choice is to look at your bills and find the total power usage for the last months.

Last May we used 500 w on average, 24 hrs/day.

your best bet and actualy your only choice is to look at your bills and find the total power usage for the last months.
Nice try, but not even close. You cannot calculate the size of the generator from the information on the bill.

The bill gives the total kWh, you can calculate the average, and you still don't know anything about the peak demand. If your average 24/7 is 500W, your peak could very well be 5kW (for example a 2kW electric stove plus 3kW water heater that run 5% of the time.)

The only way to know is to survey the loads that will be on the generator. If you can't find the ratings of some items, you can turn them on and watch the meter. Or buy a "kill-a-watt" (special meter) for about $20.

Nice try, but not even close. You cannot calculate the size of the generator from the information on the bill.

The bill gives the total kWh, you can calculate the average, and you still don't know anything about the peak demand. If your average 24/7 is 500W, your peak could very well be 5kW (for example a 2kW electric stove plus 3kW water heater that run 5% of the time.)

The only way to know is to survey the loads that will be on the generator. If you can't find the ratings of some items, you can turn them on and watch the meter. Or buy a "kill-a-watt" (special meter) for about $20.

Read the meter. Kilowatt hours. You know yourself when you are at peak usage and you can look to see what your using.

. . .buying a generator but I need to know how much electricity all the appliances use so that I can get the right generator for the job.

Peak demand would be less than your service size: 60 A @ 240 v = 14.4 kW, 100 A [24 kW], 200 A [48 kW], as determined by the wire size coming in to your breaker panel.

For my house, the peak-to-average ratio might be 50.

If the peak-to-average power rating of generators is only 2:1, and if peak demand is only 1 hr/day, you should look into energy storage [batteries, a flywheel, etc.].

Ask the generator people. Make sure their salesmen don't claim that they can violate the laws of physics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back