Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a Formula for household electrical items

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter5355

Is there a Formula for calculating household electrical items?

I was thinking of buying a generator but I need to know how much electricity all the appliances use so that I can get the right generator for the job.

I have all the manuals for each appliance which give how much power each appliance uses.

I do not know how much power a combie boiler uses if anybody knows that information can you please share that information with me.

Just add up the power used (look at the manuals) by alll the appliances in your house.

Also, look at the current rating rather than just the power. Generators are normally specified in apparant power (VA) rather than power. Some loads will have a poor power factor, meaning they will draw a lot more current than you'd expect.

Short of going round with a meter and measuring the current consumption of everything, you're better off just estimating it if it isn't printed on the manual.

For example the combie boiler uses natural gas for the heating, it only uses electricity for the ignition and control circuitry so I'd allow for 50W at the most.

You might check the Northern Lights or Westerbeke or Onan sites. They should have tables and formulas.
For reliability and a simple control circuit I recommend Westerbeke. Do not buy Onan.

Let me ask you a question in return. Are the devices that you plug into a household socket in series or in parallel?

Surely that's a silly question?

The sockets are wired in parallel, therefore the devices are all connected in parallel.

If they were wired in a series, wouldn't you need more voltage? Then again, i know nothing about AC...

Web Sites

ClydeCrashKop said:
You might check the Northern Lights or Westerbeke or Onan sites. They should have tables and formulas.
For reliability and a simple control circuit I recommend Westerbeke. Do not buy Onan.

Do you know of any web sites that are in the UK that have these Tables and Formulas.

As I am with Scottish Power would they have that information.

Fuse Box have trip switches if that helps

Hero999 said:
Surely that's a silly question?

The sockets are wired in parallel, therefore the devices are all connected in parallel.

The Fuse Box have trip switches which are very sentive if you just touch an earth wire and it trips the device that it is connected too

Attachments

• Fuse Box.jpg
    Fuse Box.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 470
It sounds like you're talking about an RCD which cuts off the power when some of the current leaks to earth.

I was talking about series and parallel circuits.
https://www.berkeleypoint.com/learning/parallel_circuit.html

All the devices in your house will be connected in parallel apart from a set of christmas tree lights.

Marks256 said:
If they were wired in a series, wouldn't you need more voltage? Then again, i know nothing about AC...
That's a pretty silly thing to say, I don't think you thought it through.

AC works exactly the same as DC until you get tied up with the complecities of power factor.

If they were all wired in series the voltage would depend on what else you have connected and all the plugs would have to have something connected for anything to work.

Connecting loads in series done with a constant current supply, for example a LED lighting system might use one switching power supply which produces a constant current of 325mA - to increase the load you add more LEDs in series.

Hero999 said:
That's a pretty silly thing to say, I don't think you thought it through.

AC works exactly the same as DC until you get tied up with the complecities of power factor.

If they were all wired in series the voltage would depend on what else you have connected and all the plugs would have to have something connected for anything to work.

Connecting loads in series done with a constant current supply, for example a LED lighting system might use one switching power supply which produces a constant current of 325mA - to increase the load you add more LEDs in series.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: that is what happens when i get tired...

Hero999 said:
It sounds like you're talking about an RCD which cuts off the power when some of the current leaks to earth.
Here in the US, we call those GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors). For those wondering what goes on inside these things, they work by passing both the hot and neutral lines through a differential current transformer. Normally, the current through the hot is equal in magnitude and opposite in polarity to the return current through the neutral; these two currents cancel each other out and the voltage across the secondary of the CT is zero. If there is an imbalance between the hot and neutral current, a voltage appears across the CT secondary. In the US, if the magnitude of this voltage represents a current differential of 5 mA or more, the GFCI trips. Contrary to what many believe, a GFCI does not need to be grounded in order to work properly. However, if no ground is connected, the cover plate of the GFCI and those of any (up to 6 are allowed per the NEC) protected downstream switches or receptacles must carry the label "NO EQUIPMENT GROUND."

I²R said:
Contrary to what many believe, a GFCI does not need to be grounded in order to work properly.
True but I think what people mean when they say that is that RCDs/GFCIs won't work on an IT system.

I²R said:
Here in the US, we call those GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interruptors). ."

This is what i don't understand why do theý have so many diffrent names for the same device

i seen many building schematics and i came across 3 names

ELB (earth leakage breaker)
ELC (earth leakage contactor)
EFR (earth fault relais)

if you hear the full name it it's straight forward but if you but if you say to me RCD :confused: :confused: :confused:

so RCD stands for what??

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
Generator sheet

Have enclosed a sheet of all devices in my house and the Amps that they use if it is wrong please let me know.

Also seen a generator that had 2KVA was wondering if that generator would do all my devices in my house?

Thank you for all your comments

Attachments

• generator.jpg
    generator.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 541
Sorry, but your list is completely useless - you've mixed amps and watts together - many items on that list (like the kettle and washer) individually use more than a 2KW generator can provide.

Hardly anything on the list makes any sense.

5 amps for a clock radio :eek: I run a 2400watt sinewave inverter on our house and unless I have another phantom load on the inverter will switch on and off resetting the clock all the time. Mind you I have the inverter trip point set to the mininum which is 30mA and the clock doesnt even use that much. So if your clock is using 5 amps I'd be looking for a new clock radio.

Anyway to measure household items you need a watt meter and siliconchip did a project on one sometime ago and i wouldn't be surprised if EPE has done it too.....

Cheers Bryan ;)

50 amps to run a washing machine? It is 1/4th our service here! :eek:

Where on earth did you get a washing machine that takes 50 amps!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back