Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a advanced project to build

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEEDSAPROJECT

Hu guys on the last year of my telecomms degree and can t find a project to build need so need something advanced preferbly with programming in. got 5months left till i finish so looking for a project to build and write a report on what already been done.

Hope someone can help

What subjects have you studied recently? Maybe that will help in providing you suggestions.

help advance this project

**broken link removed**

Got this project any advances which you think can be added to make it more advanced

cheers

I, too, am thinking of making a little network cable tester at some point. It would be comprised of two units, one to stick on each end of the cable (as the cable may already be placed up in the ceiling, through walls, and dropped down to another room). My only complaint about the low end ones currently on the market is that the master unit with the batteries and the switch is only a sender unit, you get no feedback. When you turn it on, you have to walk to the other room to get the results on the second unit, which consists only of red and green LEDs in opposing polarities.

I like your idea of using an LCD display. But the master unit with the power switch should be the one that displays the results. The other end should just be a plain closed passive connector. So far my idea is to use four pairs of opposing diodes, to determine if polarities are correct. There will also be specific resistors in series with the diodes, and each of the four pairs have a different value. That way when the 'brain' unit detects that yes in fact a signal is the correct polarity, it also has a way to use a voltage divider to see if it was the correct pair. Obviously sending out a signal on pins 1 and 2, and making it with correct polarity to the second unit on pins 7 and 8, should result in an error being detected back on unit 1.

The difficulty I'm having is that with the voltage divider, I'm wanting to have a sweet spot voltage range that only a pair with correct polarity in the correct order will produce. A crossover cable would have acceptable sweet spots too. Everything else would be thrown out into a "don't care" voltage range. The next logical step would be to look at every possible incorrect wiring situation, figure out the voltage level that would be read in that case, so the LCD can display exactly where the problem(s) are.

The reason I am going to all the trouble of doing the resistor method and things, as opposed to just wiring it straight to a second PIC in the second unit is this: With the one PIC design where everything is local, which you provided the link to, the single PIC keeps track of the information internally. It just sends a signal, and tests it in one unit.

With two units, in order to display the status of the connections, PIC2 would need to transmit data back to PIC1. But there lies the problem. The only means of communication the two PICs would have with each other is the network cable being tested. If the network cable is bad, then PIC2 couldn't communicate the problem back to PIC1. "General cable failure" wouldn't be very useful on the LCD output. :)

stuck

I agree but im looking to add other functions to the project other than advance the networking part. The reason is i need to have a project complete by july to pass my degree. Was thinking of buildind somethin like an MP3 player but dont want to take on 2 much work in project as i have some big exams this month and in june. Trying to think of somes other functions i could add to the device to make it a networkin tool not just for testing cables, may also advance it a little by adjusting it for USB

Well it depends on how hard of a project you want to do. Here's a link to my senior design project that I did to get my degree. We took a PIC and made it Intarwebable. :) Our team of four made a web server using a PIC16F877. A custom TCP/IP stack in assembler was written, and we used a Crystal/Cirrus CS8900A Ethernet Controller chip for the Ethernet. It hosted webpages, returned sensor data (such as from a thermistor in our demo) in HTML pages, and responded to pings. It was pretty sweet.

**broken link removed**

If you're female and looking at the pictures, I'm Andy. 8) If not, eh, don't look through the team member projects. Hah. ;)

Hard to understand

Not been an EE myself nor even a student at the University, and only as a hobbyist, I can not understand, less believe, that a student has to ask for suggestions on his end of degree project.

I feel that at this stage I would be full of ideas that I would like to try or develop by myself. But OK, that's me.

One thing is true, this request is quite frequent in electronics related forums. Inspiration/imagination is part of the game, isn't it?

Usually I don't tell what I think so openly but I find this surprising. Asking other people for suggestions on where I will demonstrate how much I could benefit of so long time spent in studying? No, not me.

Agustín Tomás.

I had no idea what kind of thing I was going to be doing for my senior design project. There is a list of things at my school for projects that various people or companies have requested, and a lot of people pick them. The company that sponsored my group told us their ideas of what they wanted, and we worked to produce that goal. There's nothing wrong with a customer saying "Hey Mr. Engineer, here's a product I would like", and respond "Yes, I shall do that." It sucks considerably to say "Hey, check out this awesome thing I thought up and made" and no one likes or wants it. This guy's just wanting to bypass marketing and go straight to R&D. :)

Points of view

Hi Bonxer,

Perhaps it is my attitude as a hobbyst who in fact is not in the compromise to show how profitable was the experience acomplished during the years spent in studying.

But I still fancy what things I would like to do just to prove something to myself. Really far from what an EE will do when that customer comes and shows what he wants/needs.

With the exception of some regulated power supplies for a lab, many years ago, the rest of what I did was kind of a "proof of concept" or with no immediate application in mind. Ah, add also a thermometric data collector for a greenhouse. It's described in my site.

I should have considered the different points of view. :cry:

Your point.

Agustín Tomás

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back