Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a accurate distance measurement sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anand.usic

Hi,
I need to measure the distance of an object that is not flat (may be curved). If the object moves 0.01cm i need the information. Is there any sensor available which fulfills my need. If available please give detailed info for buying the same. :-D

At what distance would your sensor be from the object...1mm?...1cm?...1m? What's the environment? What's the object? Should the output be change/no-change?...analog?...digital?...???
"If available please give detailed info for" spec'ing a sensor. ;)

Ken

The only sensors I know being accurate down to 0.1mm are positioning sensors made by Sharp.

Boncuk

I am using sensors from this family of sensors. They work extremely well. Unfortunately the original poster has given few details as mentioned.

A Google of "laser interferometer sensors" will bring up plenty of hits of similar sensors. However, they aren't inexpensive devices. Typical cost for the units we use is about $3,500 for a sensor. If you want real high accuracy thet really isn't all that bad.

Again, if the original poster returns with more info maybe someone can be of more help.

Ron

At what distance would your sensor be from the object...1mm?...1cm?...1m? What's the environment? What's the object? Should the output be change/no-change?...analog?...digital?...???
"If available please give detailed info for" spec'ing a sensor. ;)

Ken

the Typical distance we planned to use is 3 meters and from that even a 0.1cm variation should be obtained. Probably in the form of analog would be better to calculate the distance. Cost doesn't matter but the accuracy matters. The Environment will not be much Lighted its on the Human skin we are going to focus. What i thought is Laser Sensor would be accurate but am not sure. Please help me to get a best sensor what my application needs.

Did you read my post? I linked to an entire family of LASER sensors including ones with analog outputs. You may find what you want in that collection. Additionally I suggested how to Google for additional sensors of the same type. The distance to the measuring plane may be a little difficult.

Ron

Last edited:
If the travel path is linear and well defined, you might want to consider some type of mechanical encoding solution.

CafeLogic, it's human skin, physical contact would be impossible without distending the skin.

Laser line sensors will do this and then some.

Did you read my post? I linked to an entire family of LASER sensors including ones with analog outputs. You may find what you want in that collection. Additionally I suggested how to Google for additional sensors of the same type. The distance to the measuring plane may be a little difficult.

Ron

Yes Ron i read that i got all the details thank you. Will it produce any heat when it is focused on to the human skin?.. If it is not i will go for that..

Yes Ron i read that i got all the details thank you. Will it produce any heat when it is focused on to the human skin?.. If it is not i will go for that..

Nope, no heat at all. You can't even feel them. Just a red dot.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back