Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need a -5V supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtvonly

Hi. can I use an inverting op amp with a +5V input to get a -5V output, for use to run other op amps that needs +/-5V? This will be a low current application. Please see attachment.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Negative DC from Positive DC.zip
    16.6 KB · Views: 186
What format is the file when unzipped?

Can't read it.

Besides that I suggest to use a MAX1721. +5V in -> -5V/25mA out, clean with only two tantalum caps.

Last edited:
It's a Microsoft WORD 2007 document...".docx"

dtvonly,

Save the document in the "95-2003" format. Many people don't have the newer WORD versions.

ken

The answer to the OP's question is NO. An OPAMP can pull its output near -5V IF AND ONLY IF its V- supply pin is tied to a NEGATIVE power supply. You are trying to invent PERPETUAL MOTION :D

Your simulation worked only because your "IDEAL" op amp has build-in internal positive and negative supply voltages. If you use an op amp for U1 that requires external supplies, like U2, you will see that your simulation will not work (as would be true in real life).

Last edited:
Without seeing the schematic we are just guessing. I don't know why the schematic is hidden in a zipped Word document.
I think he wants to convert +5V to make -5V. A 7905 negative regulator does not convert a positive voltage into a negative voltage.
An ICL7660 IC charge-pump IC can do it but its output current is low.

Attachments

• ICL7660 negative generator.PNG
    ICL7660 negative generator.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 626
or this.

Here's a datasheet.

Input and output are isolated. Connecting +Vout to ground makes -Vout negative.

Attachments

• SIM1-0505-SIL4.pdf
    63 KB · Views: 250
Last edited:
If you don't have MS Word then you can download a free viewer but unfortunately it's Windows only, although OpenOffice.org will open some MS Word files.

I would ban the uploading of Word documents myself.

Anyway, here's the schematic in PNG format, goodness knows why the OP didn't just post it in PNG in the first place.

Would it ba acceptable to bias at half the supply voltage so you can use a single power supply?

EDIT:

Just looked at the schematic again, it doesn't look right to me. Why is the 0V of the second op-amp connected to the output of the first?

If it's to bias the AC voltage at a certain DC level, it isn't the right way of doing it, a potential divider should be used.

Attachments

• op-amp MS Word.PNG
    op-amp MS Word.PNG
    2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Just looked at the schematic again, it doesn't look right to me. Why is the 0V of the second opamp connected to the output of the first?
Post #6 says that the "ideal" opamp for the first opamp has a positive and negative supply so its output is -5V. Then the second opamp also has a positive and negative supply.

Lol, I can see what the original poster's done, they're using an ideal inverting amplifier with a built-in negative supply to get a negative rail for a non-ideal op-amp. :D

This will never work in real life because a real non-ideal op-amp will require a negative supply and so will an LM7905.

It's a Microsoft WORD 2007 document...".docx"

dtvonly,

Save the document in the "95-2003" format. Many people don't have the newer WORD versions.

ken
Download the compatibility pack: this works with all MS versions since 2000 as well as the free viewer.

**broken link removed**

Or alternatively the latest version of OpenOffice.org

OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back