Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need a “pushbutton” spring return axial potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotarypower101

Hi looking for a little help locating similar items to this “push button” potentiometer. hopefully more reasonably priced and more durable as well as more weatherproof if possible. Tall order but I am willing to look at any alternatives with any of these characteristics.

BI TECHNOLOGIES / TT ELECTRONICS|404R10KL1.0|POT, LIN MOTION, 10KOHM, 10%, | Newark.com

**broken link removed**

Is there some specific terminology that would be associated with this component, that would better help me find similar or better substitutes?

I have found threaded rod variants, but getting a pot with the specific characteristics is proving somewhat difficult. This is the only self returning axial “slide” pot I have been able to locate that really looks like it would fit my purpose.

Any advice from experience someone could offer?

TIA

You are looking at a Linear Position Transducer with a stroke of .5 inch. The one you are looking at is about the most inexpensive I have ever seen for that design. Honeywell makes a "Longfellow" series that run in the $400 range. I know Allied Electronics carries the Honewell line.

Much of this is a matter of how much accuracy you want or need? These generally do not come spring loaded but the user can add a spring for return. I use quite a few of them. Good ones aren't cheap as you want to pay attention to the pot linearity specification.

Ron

Thank you for your input, I have a choice between 32 discreet steps or 256 steps (depending on the controller I use), wont this be limited by the controller that this component will be feeding information to? Would this be a satisfactory range or should I look into the topic in greater detail?

This is a hobby application, working satisfactorily over the range is required, perfect accuracy and feedback is not required, though I would like to know the factors that are involved if a better system can be obtained. The item will be used as a feedback sensor for a RC/drive by wire powerwheel gas pedal, so very precise control will not be required.

As far as I can tell this particular component is a spring return unit from the description on the PDF datasheet. (14oz internal spring return to extend slider)

By “pot linearity specification” do you mean the function of throw to resistance?
Could you explain this a little or link to more information on the topic please?

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your knowledge on these components.

May I also ask (if you know,or can venture a guess) why would this device have “Turret Terminals”
Not a big deal I just have never worked with a component that has these and have always wondered what their purpose is, as I have seen them on the NASA correct terminal termination directories.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input, I have a choice between 32 discreet steps or 256 steps (depending on the controller I use), wont this be limited by the controller that this component will be feeding information to? Would this be a satisfactory range or should I look into the topic in greater detail?

This is a hobby application, working satisfactorily over the range is required, perfect accuracy and feedback is not required, though I would like to know the factors that are involved if a better system can be obtained. The item will be used as a feedback sensor for a RC/drive by wire powerwheel gas pedal, so very precise control will not be required.

As far as I can tell this particular component is a spring return unit from the description on the PDF datasheet. (14oz internal spring return to extend slider)

By “pot linearity specification” do you mean the function of throw to resistance?
Could you explain this a little or link to more information on the topic please?

Thanks for taking the time to respond with your knowledge on these components.

May I also ask (if you know,or can venture a guess) why would this device have “Turret Terminals”
Not a big deal I just have never worked with a component that has these and have always wondered what their purpose is, as I have seen them on the NASA correct terminal termination directories.

No idea why the turrent terminals as I have seen them with a few different terminal configurations. I think I have one at home (at work now) with a 1" stroke and the leads extend from it about 6".

I would opt for the 256 quantization levels as more is better for your resolution. If you are using a uC controller and you make your A/D refrence 5 Volts and apply 5 Volts across your linear pot then 0 to .5" = 0 to 5 Volts and your 0 to .5 inches is broken down into 256 quantization levels. Certainly good for any hobby application. That would be an 8 bit A/D conversion.

The reason I mentioned the importance of the linearity of the pot is we don't care if the resistance of the pot is exactly 10K Ohms. Hell it could be 9 or 11 K Ohms and be just fine at +/- 10%. However we do care very much about linearity of the pot. Let's say we apply 5 volts across the pot. For each .1" of travel the output should change 1 volt. That is very important.

Anything else you need to know just ask.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back