Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need 12v dc down to 5v 2 amp,

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremepyro

I've looked and looked to find something to power a portable usb drive in my vehicle. My stereo powers a flash drive but wont a portable drive.
I bought a lighter style adapter--it worked for a couple months an the output changed just enough it creats a power error. The drives AC adapter takes it down to 5v 2 amps DC.
While it was working-- it was pretty awesome, 160 gigs of music.
I hooked up a power inverter to power the AC adapter but thats a pain in the neck,, really bad when you forget to unplug it(the battery is dead)

Anyone know of a device or a way to make a little curcuit board to do what I need?
Cant believe its something I couldnt find on the web. Seems like it should be easy OR Im not asking the correct thing.

You should be able to simply use a 5V regulator such as the NTE1934 which regulates up to a 30 DcV input to a 4.9-5.1 DcV output with a current up to 2A.

You might consider a 1N4734 5.6V zener after the regulator to protect your devices from overvoltage and be sure to add a fuse.

Many cellphone 'cigarette lighter' chargers put out 5vdc.

Avoid Motorola they are not. Samsung are 5 vdc. Two amps might be a challenge. Go for 3G phone charger which is more likely to put out up to 2 amps.

Probably cheapest and fastest solution.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back