Need 0.48 ohm resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronhollenbeck

I need a 0.48 ohm resistor for a Micronta multi-meter. Mouser has 0.47 and 0.5 ohm but no 0.48. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,

Ron

ronhollenbeck said:
I need a 0.48 ohm resistor for a Micronta multi-meter. Mouser has 0.47 and 0.5 ohm but no 0.48. Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,

Ron

hi Ron,
Do they have any 0.01R's, these are a standard value.

If you have the space use a 0.47R and 0.01R in series, it sounds like a current shunt so consider the wattage.

You could use a 0.51R and a 8.2R in parallel.

I found those values using this resistor calculator:
**broken link removed**

First off, why do you want a 0.48 ohm?, it's a really strange value - next, how accurate does it have to be? - both 0.47 and 0.5 are within 5%, which is probably as good a tolerance as you're going to get.

He wants the 0.48Ω resistor for the same reason I do. I accidentally overloaded the 500 mA ammeter portion of my Micronta VOM this evening. This shunt resistor turned to crispy charcoal bits in about 3 seconds.

The closest I could find was here:

www . surplussales . com / Resistors / WireWound / WW0015-1 . html

They have a 0.47Ω 1% 0.5W

and a 0.487Ω 1% 20W (pretty darn close -- but with that power rating will be physically too big).

Our power is only .12 W so 0.5 W should be enough.

Jim C.

PS - board posting restrictions prevent me from posting proper URL. You guys will have to cut/paste and knock out all the spaces.

Are you sure.?

**broken link removed**

I meant 0.48Ω, it was a typo as you probably know. I've edited my post.

I was wrong about the tolerance though, it looks like you can get low value resistors this good, still no 0.48Ω though.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you to put in a 0.51 ohm (or two one ohm resistors in parallel) resistor in your VOM and then connect your VOM in series with a known good ammeter to check it's calibration. With a 0.51 ohmmer, you WILL get a too sensitive ammeter with your VOM. You'll have to add another resistor in parallel (PICasm suggests 8.2 ohms, try 8.2, 9.1 and 7.5 ohms) to fine-tune your VOM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…