Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Near miss on the road today but sort of not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
Today my niece and I had a close call, the guy in front of us was not so lucky, with some idiot who apparently never drove a vehicle before otherwise I have no rational explainations for the reasoning behind the dumb a$$ maneuver he did today. :mad:

We where coming back from town today and where following a full sized pickup similar to my red Ford F250 Super duty. The driver in front of me was driving normally and appropriately for the road conditions as we followed him down the highway. He put his right blinker on and started slowing down to make a right hand turn just like any normal driver does and I responded by braking and slowing down and moving outward closer to the center stripe in order to keep a proper spacing between us plus get ready to roll past him like anyone would normally do.

Everything was fine and nothing was out of the ordinary until I looked in my rear view mirror and saw this smaller white car coming up way too fast behind us. I kept on my brakes and figured he was going to move left into the clear oncoming traffic lane and pass us like a typical careless idiot in a hurry.
Nope! I see the front of the car dip down as he lays on his brakes so I got ready to be hit and I reached over to my niece intending to push her back into the seat and tell her to hang on expecting we are going to get hit. :eek:

Instead speedygondumbazz shoots past us on the right side of my pickup missing us by inches and plows into the side to the pickup in front of me thats most of the way through his right turn and almost completely off the highway pushing him across the side road and up against a snow bank. :(

WTF was that maneuver all about? Clear open lane to the left but takes the right shoulder directly into the side of the pickup turning off the road ahead of me? :confused:

Anyone else ever seen a clueless idiot do something like that or worse?

Last edited:
Daily. Come to South Africa and watch our TAXI drivers. What happened to you is a normality here.

Damn!

Yeah - I've seen something like that here in Phoenix. I was sitting in the left lane, waiting for the light to go green. I look in the mirror and see idiot driving fast in my lane, and not looking like he's going to brake. Just as I'm dreading the worst, he switches to the empty right hand lane, still going like a bat-outta-hell, and into the intersection (light was still red). Hits a guy in a car crossing the intersection in the rear quarter panel, which spun that car around 360, and the driver came to a stop at a nearby bus stop past the intersection. Our idiot was going so fast that the impact didn't even budge him much from his course, but of course he was a little out of control. However, somehow newfound driving skills came into play, and he managed to cross the intersection without hitting anyone else, thread his car between a light pole -and- a powerpole (I swear there was only 6 inches on either side of his mirrors), and miss a power transformer, coming to a stop on the sidewalk.

Other than vehicular damage, nobody was injured.

As the saying goes, "you can always find a smarter idiot".

A friend was stopped at red light and so were the two cars in front of him. A car comes barreling down the road with the driver talking on a cell phone. CRASH! She damages all the vehicles AND one of the driver's in front of my friend wanted to sue him for hitting them. Hey, he was pushed.

I was driving in a snow storm and suddenly a guy comes out of the donut shop doing donuts I front of me. Two other cars manage to avoid the guy doing the donuts.

This fourth guy comes barreling down the road and hits every one of us. I got side-swiped.

We call the cops and they say, since no one is hurt and the cars are all driveable, why don't you drive about 1/2 a mile and come see us, otherwise we have no idea how long you will have to wait because of all the accidents.

Over here in the last few months we have had 2 semi trailers at different times lose their brake going down the hill on the expressway. The first one flattened a car while a guy was changing the tyre then went to collect a bus shelter with a guy in it who's truck had broken down killing him instantly, the truck sweavered off the road and hit a stone wall to avoid going thru the intersection and into the city. The second truck flattened 2 4wd's before the intersection, took 3 cars out at the intersection then went on taking out several more cars before ramming another 4wd 5 kilometres down the road where it became flat. Out of all the vehicles hit only 1 fatality and the main guess is the next to do it will leave a path of carnage in it's wake.

Now near the end of the expressway is a big sign to truckers saying NOT to use exhaust brakes due to the noise so if all else fails the main brake for trucks isn't allowed to be used. Some say our esteemed pollies have lost their mind and now get this a new law is coming where farmers have to buy a meter costing $2,000 then pay for pumping water out of their dams. So even though our farmers are doing it tough with that extra expense they won't be able to afford to keep their trucks up to scratch so looks like more smash up derbies on our major roads will be on the cards......

Over here in the last few months we have had 2 semi trailers at different times lose their brake going down the hill on the expressway. The first one flattened a car while a guy was changing the tyre then went to collect a bus shelter with a guy in it who's truck had broken down killing him instantly, the truck sweavered off the road and hit a stone wall to avoid going thru the intersection and into the city. The second truck flattened 2 4wd's before the intersection, took 3 cars out at the intersection then went on taking out several more cars before ramming another 4wd 5 kilometres down the road where it became flat. Out of all the vehicles hit only 1 fatality and the main guess is the next to do it will leave a path of carnage in it's wake.

Yikes!

We have had a few scares, once a full gas-tanker truck flipped, and rolled off the off-ramp from the highway! :eek: Luckily there was no fire involved!!!

We had a large fire from a garbage truck that pulled down some power lines, a total of 6 semi-detached houses were deemed uninhabitable, and they are going to be torn down. A total of 21 people were misplaced by the fire, half of them were kids! Luckily nobody died!!!

One time there was a drunk guy driving a small dump truck in front of us, he was swerving in and out of the lanes, so we decided to stay in the right-most lane and slow down to get away from that idiot before he crashed; we got off at the nearest exit no matter where it took us.

Just sends chills down my spine!!!:(

-Ben

Daily. Come to South Africa and watch our TAXI drivers. What happened to you is a normality here.

Don't get me talking about TAXI drivers!!!!!!

I was a few inches from being ran over by one in New York City

-Ben

I saw a flipped tanker truck with gasoline burning for about 1 mile down the highway. Luckily I was near the top of the hill.

The Americans melting in the south might not understand slippery winter roads covered in ice.
I was carefully driving on the icy road then saw the guy behind me going way too fast so I quickly turned into a side street and he hit the car that was in front of me. My lucky day.

If there's one thing I've learned during my years as a driver, it's that a driving exam to get a license is not enough. They really need a Stupid test!
Der Strom

Last edited:
Moat Oriental drivers cannot drive at all! I think it is because they cannot see at all! They also drive at night without any lights.
Maybe they drive without a drivers licence or they falsely get a drivers licence from a government worker who is Oriental.

Maybe they drive without a drivers licence or they falsely get a drivers licence from a government worker who is Oriental.

I think they just need an international drivers license? At work, we had this woman come over from china for about a month. Had no trouble at all getting a rental car... i never personally saw her driving, but my friend said this one night he was leaving work, she was sitting at a red light waiting to turn left. He was turning right, so he turned right on red, and she proceeded to turn left on red. bunch more stories but i cant remember them at the moment.

I saw the aftermath of another accident last winter, about 2-4" of snow on the ground. Some guy was driving a corvette and slid into the back of a semi. The semi bumper is at head level on a corvette... they had a tarp over it and were standing around, probably waiting for the coroner

Yea reading this thread does bring back memories, back when I was a kid and too young to get a licience I was in the back of a mates car when we drove past this honey walking on the road. As we went past I was still looking out the back window when I saw a guy pass in the other direction who must of also been looking at that honey. Anyway that guy didnt see a flat bed truck with it's rear parked in the right lane. The ute went straight into the back of the tray and ripped the cab off clean. That night on the news the carnage was shown along with a warning about one keeping your eyes on the road.

Pretty young ladies always distract me too but never caused me to walk into a pole or crash my car.
A friend fell asleep while driving his car. He woke with it buried in a snow bank with the engine and wheels still turning. No damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back