Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

navigation of a map by a robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

ready2go

Hi everybody I have a problem with my final year project...
I have to load a map in my PC and move my robot to that position where-ever the mouse is clicked in the MAP....(actually it's about Navigating.)
I have got no IDEA even how to load a MAP and make GUI....so that ROBOT moves to that position...
please help..
EVERY HELP SHALL BE APPRECIATED

Simple programming software to use would be something called Processing. It's a Java based language only it's meant more for artists or people that just want simple things done, it has extensive libraries for just about anything you might need. It's also free and VERY well documented.

Processing.org

There is extensive example code including real world usage of every library component, for ease of learning. As long as you've had some familiarity with programming it shouldn't take you more than a few days to a week to whip up a simple GUI like that that can take serial data streamed from a micro controller (the map) and turn it into a visual display of the map you can then interact with and send information back to the MCU.

Scripting languages are easy ways to make a GUI on the PC. TCL is one example. The hardest part is compiling the source and loading it into your PC. After that you can mess around with the code to make thigns appear on screen.

Dknguyen. Processing is a branch of Java which atempts to make it more script like, but with all the power of pure Java behind it, it's very easy to learn, and very easy to install. Any machines with a Java VM installed can run it. It come's in a standalone version as well for PC.

but i have no idea about java
I want to do it C++ ....Does C++ support java & html script....
I want to load local map of a(say maze for example) and move robot to that position where i clicked in the map.....IT's actually controlling navigation of robot through GUI

Hi ready2go,

First of all, how do information from robot to computer is carried RS-232 ? serial, usb...Enlight us :)

Furthermore, for your C++ part...If you plan on using C++, you have two main options for GUI library. First of all, you can use QT (pronounce cute). It is a C++ graphical library that contains different widgets...Not too hard to learn tho. You can also use GUI library from Microsoft Visual Studio. You can go read on the internet for the pro and cons of those library.

to answer your direct question: C++ doesn't support java because they are concurent language...they both are programming language. However, there is bridge that exist...but don't use them it is a complete waste of time and energy. Furthermore, stay away from html and web based if you don't absolutely need it.

I know that in C# visual basic and Java, you can have a graphical GUI designer which simplify a lot your task...and they are simpler language...If you can use another language than C++...you will have less headache at the end of the day.

I hope this helps!

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back