Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name that part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I've seen these before, but I can't remember what they are. Can anyone name the part and explain the markings? I think it's a transient suppression type device?

Attachments

• Misc.jpg
    Misc.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 214
I use a very limited set of components Nigel, I've never seen a capacitor like this before. I study electronics as a hobby in my spare time, and my experience is limited and has a lot of odd branches because I never went to college or a trade school neither have I done this for a living or for very long.

I've seen parts like this on boards I've taken apart for other bits but it never connected in my mind as it being a capacitor because I was takeing the board apart for different reasons and I've never had need for a capacitor over 50 volts or so. The familiarity with the part was probably because I recognized the markings as something I'd read a ways back on capacitor markings but it didn't click. I'm assuming the K is a precision marking. The Squared M is the makers mark. Does the 'W: signify anything?

I hope nobody saw me trying to measure the capacitance of something that proved to be a lentil...............................................

I feel better now. But the question remains, what was the capacitance of the lentil? =)

spuffock said:
I hope nobody saw me trying to measure the capacitance of something that proved to be a lentil...............................................

LOL! Snort!!! :D :D :D
Did the short leads give you any trouble, or did you just assume it was a surface mount part?

I was poking about at a laptop motherboard that had seen some water with the power still on. A couple of other bits had corroded off, and there was this lentil, sort of blackened....
It didn't take long to realise what it was, but just for a couple of seconds...

I've seen this sort of capacitor before; this first time was in a bag of 100 assorted ceramic disc capacitors I bought from Tandy when I was about 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back