Name that part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I've seen these before, but I can't remember what they are. Can anyone name the part and explain the markings? I think it's a transient suppression type device?

Attachments

• Misc.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 215
It's called a 'capacitor', it's rated at 0.015uF 400V - was this a serious question?, I didn't see a smiley anywhere?.

I use a very limited set of components Nigel, I've never seen a capacitor like this before. I study electronics as a hobby in my spare time, and my experience is limited and has a lot of odd branches because I never went to college or a trade school neither have I done this for a living or for very long.

I've seen parts like this on boards I've taken apart for other bits but it never connected in my mind as it being a capacitor because I was takeing the board apart for different reasons and I've never had need for a capacitor over 50 volts or so. The familiarity with the part was probably because I recognized the markings as something I'd read a ways back on capacitor markings but it didn't click. I'm assuming the K is a precision marking. The Squared M is the makers mark. Does the 'W: signify anything?

There have been a number of threads about capacitor markings on these forums - K is the tolerance (+/-10%) - I don't know about the rest.

I hope nobody saw me trying to measure the capacitance of something that proved to be a lentil...............................................

spuffock said:
I hope nobody saw me trying to measure the capacitance of something that proved to be a lentil...............................................

LOL! Snort!!!
Did the short leads give you any trouble, or did you just assume it was a surface mount part?

I was poking about at a laptop motherboard that had seen some water with the power still on. A couple of other bits had corroded off, and there was this lentil, sort of blackened....
It didn't take long to realise what it was, but just for a couple of seconds...

I've seen this sort of capacitor before; this first time was in a bag of 100 assorted ceramic disc capacitors I bought from Tandy when I was about 12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…