Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Name me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vizier87

Hi guys.. I was doing my Friday quarterback with a broken classic phone.. And saw this component: (circled in red)

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/image0269-jpg.33743/

That's the best picture I could get. It's a glass tube just a bit bigger than the standard carbon film resistors, and inside the glass vial there is a thing which looked like a carbon resistor stripped from its film. Is it just a regular resistor?
Would be nice if it's a sensor or something. ;)

Attachments

• Image0269.JPG
    Image0269.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
It looks like it might be a diode, especially since you mentioned the "glass tube". Does it have a band on one side? This is just either just a white or black line that goes all around the circumference of the component. That will tell you which ternimal is the cathode. It could be a zener or gernamium diode. If you have a diode tester on a multimeter, check and see if it is a diode. If you don't, diodes should have a certain amount of resistance one way, but not the other. This will also confirm whether or not it's a diode.

Last edited:
Well I've tested it with a 9V battery and a motor, it did act like a diode except the output current is incredibly low. The motor turned like a pussy. I mean, IN4148s are one of the lowest current ratings for standard hobbyist application but a regular motor turns quite well for it, but this is just too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back