Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

n-way Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hippogriff

If I have an n-way rotary switch, for - say - some kind of mode of operation selection, as opposed to simple on / off, like this:

**broken link removed**

...then do I need n pins on a micro-controller to allow me to recognise the mode of operation requested by the user, or is there something 'smart' I can do to utilise a single input pin (one I'd alias as "MODE") and then check a value on it - not just high or low - by something else (probably provided to the micro-controller by something inbetween the rotary switch and the pin) that differentiates the fact that the switch is in position 0 to position n?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Use different value resistors in a voltage divider circuit, feed it into an analog input on the microcontroller.

Ford cruise controls in the 80's and 90's used the resistor ladder trick to get multiple selections with minimum wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back