Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

N-Channel mosfet power question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigman

Hey, this may sound like a silly question. But can I use a N-Channel FET to switch a positive load?

IE.

Gate - (low trigger) negative
Drain - Load
Source - +12VDC

Just curious if this is an OK thing to do? I'm guessing not. will only work as a P Channel FET?

The FET in question https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/65413.pdf

Cheers

Last edited:
If you connect the source of an N-channel Mosfet to +12V then the load must connect to a higher positive voltage.
The gate will be +12V when the Mosfet is turned off and the gate of this Mosfet will be +17V when the Mosfet is turned on.

If you connect the source of a P-channel Mosfet to +12V then the load must connect to a lesser voltage, usually 0V.
The gate will be +12V when the Mosfet is turned off and the gate of most ordinary P-channel Mosfets will be +2V or 0V when the Mosfet is turned on.

See my post in your other thread. Why scatter this topic into (now) three different forum threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back