Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery symbol

Status
Not open for further replies.
fingaz said:
According to Forrest M Mimms III, It could be a Bipolar Voltage Limiter.
Did you fail those symbol-matching IQ problems in grammar school?:D

Attachments

• Bipolar voltage limiter.PNG
    Bipolar voltage limiter.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 279
  • mystery symbol.png
    mystery symbol.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 280
fingaz said:
According to Forrest M Mimms III, It could be a Bipolar Voltage Limiter.

I thought it was settled as a zener diode?

Looks like the voltage limiter may be two back-to-back zeners.

Ron H said:
Did you fail those symbol-matching IQ problems in grammar school?:D

I assumed that the dark coloured are in the symbol could be a polarity indicator. . .

If we look at the symbol for an electrolytic capacitor, there are several different variants, but all mean the same thing.

It was just a suggestion of a possible component.

If I caused offence with my stupidity, then I apologise. If I made you laugh at me, then ok.

Attachments

• caps.PNG
    caps.PNG
    677.7 KB · Views: 209
Do people understand that there are more shapes than just bold lines and triangles? If I designed a component I would make it look cool.

fingaz said:
I assumed that the dark coloured are in the symbol could be a polarity indicator. . .

If we look at the symbol for an electrolytic capacitor, there are several different variants, but all mean the same thing.

It was just a suggestion of a possible component.

If I caused offence with my stupidity, then I apologise. If I made you laugh at me, then ok.
I didn't intend to offend you. I was just having a little fun - at your expense, I guess. :( I assumed you had posted an answer without reading the entire thread. I believe it has been established that the symbol represents a zener diode.

zevon8 said:
Here's another one to ponder, maybe it is a Shockley diode? Is there a need for a latching action in the circuit?

http://semiconductormuseum.com/PhotoGallery/PhotoGallery_Shockley4E30_Page3.htm

Granted the "normal" symbol is more like half of what you have, but this is the only symbol I know of that is like this.
There is no need for hysteresis in the circuit, although it might work. As I said above, I believe we have established that it's an (old?) European symbol for a zener diode.

Hi Ron.

You didn't really offend me. I'd just been having a bad day. And I did skip some of the replies to the thread.

I don't understand why we still use different symbols to represent the same components (US symbol for resistor vs. european symbol for resistor), or the different symbols for caps.
If we all used 'Industry Standard' symbols things would be much easier.
I suppose it gives a good discussion topic anyways.

fingaz said:
If we all used 'Industry Standard' symbols things would be much easier.

Do we mean USA Industry or Japanese or Chinese or one of the european ones?

(Whatever happened to Avalanche diodes ?)

I found the second link with the Image Search feature of Google.
Then I used another search engine (Yahoo?) and found the first link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back