Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery Part

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuer Tek

I acquired some parts that a college was giving away for free. They included: LED Arrays, 7 segment LEDs of various sizes, and this...

It's rather small and the front has a frosted plastic covering. There are two leads coming out the back. Any ideas as to what it is or who made it? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nuer Tek

Front:
0415081321a.jpg

Back:
0415081321b.jpg

A rectangular cotton ball?

OK, I'm done being a smartass now. :) I honestly don't recognize it but I'd guess a capacitor or antenna or some kind. Have you tested the leads with a digital multimeter? Does it have any markings at all, maybe along the sides?

Try using the camera's macro function to get a somewhat clear shot. If you have a decent camera it should also support a semi-manual-focus mode which can allow very clear shots down to a few centimeters from the lens. Or just bung it on a flatbed scanner.

Torben

Possibly. Try powering the leads with 2.4v with a resistor on it. Flip leads on it until it lights up. Since the other stuff was LED items, it would make sense that this was a backlight, also the 2 leads.

Sorry about the photos...used my phone b/c it was the only thing on hand. What size resistor should I use when testing? No markings are on the item itself. The packaging has part of it cut off (probably where the part number is). Once I know what size resistor to use, I'll test it out!

Actually it does look like it could be perhaps an electroluminescent backlight. If it is you may need an AC supply to power it.

I'd still recommend checking the leads with a multimeter before attempting to power it up. Check the resistance both ways and see if they differ. Use the diode check function (if your meter has one). Etc.

Torben

I checked it with a multimeter, and there was infinite resistance (using the diode check fcn). What should I do next? Sorry, but my knowledge of stuff like this is slightly lacking; however, I'm trying to learn!

Here are some better pictures:
IMGA0519.jpg

IMGA0520.jpg

Nuer Tek said:
I checked it with a multimeter, and there was infinite resistance (using the diode check fcn). What should I do next? Sorry, but my knowledge of stuff like this is slightly lacking; however, I'm trying to learn!

Did you get infinite resistance in both directions?

Torben

In some occasion the diode check MAY lite an LED. make sure you're in the dark and check it with Diode mode. MAYBE it will lite up a little bit. Unless.. it might be one of those EL backlight type... and it need ~100Vac :eek:

Nuer Tek said:

Here are some better pictures:
View attachment 18748

View attachment 18747
Make a constant current source with 10mA using 12V battery and apply the CC output to device under test. If necessary try reversing.

Few sets of series and paralleled would not give proper test with Multimeter, I fear.

Nuer Tek said:

I had "almost the same looking" device some year ago .. it was the backlight for the lcd... I powered it with 5V DC over 500 ohm resistor.

the backlight i had looked exactly the same in front and bit different on the back (6 thingy's and not 5, and the leads were on the side, so parallel to the plate, not normal to the plate as your leads are)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back