Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mystery componant in a guitar amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacomaRyan

Hello everyone. I'm bringing an old guitar practice amp back to life and I believe I have found the bad egg after testing everything else with a couple of different multimeters. The only problem is...I have no idea what the heck this little guy is. I do know however that I can't get a continuity reading of any kind out of it. It's a black cylinder with 4 legs (two on each flat side). On one side each leg is marked with either a positive or negative. It is marked "Lt 99". The circuit board printing denotes it as "PH1". I looked into photo transistors but didn't find anything that looked remotely like it. I'm attaching a picture. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

**broken link removed**

It's a combination of an LED and an LDR, probably used for the vibrato circuit - it's almost certainly not faulty, and wouldn't stop the unit working in any case.

You can't repair things by randomly attempting to check components with a meter, you need to fault find.

You can't repair things by randomly attempting to check components with a meter, you need to fault find.

Amen. So true.

A good place to start would be to make a note of the make of the amp. And then try and find a diagram on the amazing WWW. Once you have a diagram and post it there are plenty audio pro's here that could help you a lot.

Cheers

Last edited:
The PH1 component is a sealed photocoupler. It can only fail if the internal LED is operated outside its operating voltage range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back