Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Wind Generator Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemelec

This is in Initial Stages, But it Works.
Writeup includes Pictures and a Working Video Also.

**broken link removed**

Gary

Neat! It is quite different from other vertical windmills that I've seen. The "vanes" appear to flop around a little in the video due to turbulence. Does it make much noise? Your site states that it is best suited for light winds. How would it perform in high winds? Are you planning on any "shutdown" features for stormy weather?

kchriste said:
Neat! It is quite different from other vertical windmills that I've seen. The "vanes" appear to flop around a little in the video due to turbulence. Does it make much noise? Your site states that it is best suited for light winds. How would it perform in high winds? Are you planning on any "shutdown" features for stormy weather?

The Final Design will be Somewhat Different than what is Shown. Using Wood is not as good as Metal and I can Achieve a Better Design with metal.
For One, No Outside Frame as shown.

This FIRST TEST: Not Much noise, But only a Light Wind Today on this test.

I have some Ideas, for Strong Winds, But Need a Metal Frame First.
Occassionally we get Gusts to 100 MPH, so Yes this is a Concern.
(They just made a Movie here in town, and Right in the Middle of it we had a 10 Minute Storm, 100 MPH Winds. Pictures in my General Pictures on Home Page)

However that will Probably be Next Year. This is a TINY TOWN, Pop 485, no real industry.
I Need to go to Vancouver to get the Custom Made Framing I need. Its a 4 Hours Drive for me to get there and the Time required to have the parts Fabricated. Probably in September.

My Next step is to put in all the panals and Add a Generator to it. Than TESTS on it for power out.

If the WIND BLOWS, When I need it.

Hiya Gary,
Good to see ya got the wind genny bug :D , I'll admit your design is similar to afew i've seen over the years which never really took off sucessfully. Look mate I'm not trying to dampen your parade but as you say 100 mph winds aint nothing to sneeze at and some guys have 3" water pipe towers looking like spagetti after the storm. Over here in Oz about 40-50 years ago a bloke called Miller put some roofing iron on a stick and madeup the most simple vawt. The miller turbine is getting re-born over here after a bloke let us all in on the concept, so heres a link to a forum post with a pic or two https://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/FORUM1/forum_posts.asp?TID=637&PN=1

Give that idea a go mate and hopefully it will workout for you, not only is it easy to build and easy to repair but it costs hardly nothing to make. I'd hate to see you make that huge genny only to see it flying over the north pole when a strong storm hits.

Cheers Bryan :rolleyes:

bryan1 said:
Hiya Gary,
Good to see ya got the wind genny bug :D , I'll admit your design is similar to afew i've seen over the years which never really took off sucessfully. Look mate I'm not trying to dampen your parade but as you say 100 mph winds aint nothing to sneeze at and some guys have 3" water pipe towers looking like spagetti after the storm. Over here in Oz about 40-50 years ago a bloke called Miller put some roofing iron on a stick and madeup the most simple vawt. The miller turbine is getting re-born over here after a bloke let us all in on the concept, so heres a link to a forum post with a pic or two https://www.thebackshed.com/Windmill/FORUM1/forum_posts.asp?TID=637&PN=1

Give that idea a go mate and hopefully it will workout for you, not only is it easy to build and easy to repair but it costs hardly nothing to make. I'd hate to see you make that huge genny only to see it flying over the north pole when a strong storm hits.

Cheers Bryan :rolleyes:

Sounds Somewhat Interesting.

A Few Things that Puzzles Me is in the write-up Drawing, it says:
"A Powerful Windmill can be made with 3 Sheets of 3M Corrugated Iron Per Vane. (A 18HP in a 15KM Breeze.)

First, What is "Corrugated Iron"?
Sheet Steel or Galvanized Steel I understand, but Not "Corrugated".

Second, What is 3M? (3 Meters?)
If so, that One HUGE Blade.

Third, Looking at the Pictures, the vanes appear to have bends at BOTH Edges.
However in the Drawings, it only shows putting a bend at one Edge.
WHICH IS CORRECT?

And Lastly, I can Call Australia for FREE as long as its a "Land Based" Phone Number.
So would you consider Emailing me your phone number and we can discuss this a bit better.
(I'm in BC Canada, a 15 Hour Time Difference.)

Take care.....Gary

i don't think a peltier cooler will work, they draw alot of energy and will not cool a whole room. apart from that, it's a great project!;)

things said:
i don't think a peltier cooler will work, they draw alot of energy and will not cool a whole room. apart from that, it's a great project!;)

I Agree there Not very efficient.
But the way these devices work, there More Efficient for cooling from 25 or 30 degees down to 20 degrees, than they are in trying to get down to 5 degrees.
The Really Cold temperatures are difficult.

Also Water cooling in a house is easier than a cooler in a car.

And Besides that I already have lots of them and its something to play with.

another prob with peltiers is that if the air outside is too hot, it will not get to the temperature you were hoping for. other than that, it sounds like a great project! good luck!

chemelec said:
Sounds Somewhat Interesting.

A Few Things that Puzzles Me is in the write-up Drawing, it says:
"A Powerful Windmill can be made with 3 Sheets of 3M Corrugated Iron Per Vane. (A 18HP in a 15KM Breeze.)

What ron was referring to is 3 9' sheets of iron overlapping each other to make a blade. Now Ron states providing you scale it to 1:1.618 or close it should work, deviate too much and it becomes a big wind vane.

First, What is "Corrugated Iron"?
Sheet Steel or Galvanized Steel I understand, but Not "Corrugated".

Corrugated iron is what we call roofing iron over here its sheetmetal formed in a wavy form
(
)
(
)
to give you the idea of the profile.
Second, What is 3M? (3 Meters?)
If so, that One HUGE Blade.
Yep 3 meters or roughly 9' in the old school

Third, Looking at the Pictures, the vanes appear to have bends at BOTH Edges.
However in the Drawings, it only shows putting a bend at one Edge.
WHICH IS CORRECT?
the bend goes on both ends as shown in the first photo on that post in the backshed one pointing to the outer the other to the inner.

And Lastly, I can Call Australia for FREE as long as its a "Land Based" Phone Number.
So would you consider Emailing me your phone number and we can discuss this a bit better.
(I'm in BC Canada, a 15 Hour Time Difference.)

Take care.....Gary

Once we get closer to the weekend mate I'll send you an e-mail with my number and I'd be glad to talk with you. For a couple of years now I've been viewing your website and I'm always watching for new stuff.

Cheers Bryan;)

peltiers can be stacked to increase the heat pump effect although it is morer of a pyramid. You're right they are not very efficient but I did see a picture of an airconditioner using them (built by US Army) in "Modern Thermoelectrics" published in the early 80's. Also some power gensets (again US Army), but it was the radioactive(nuclear) pacemakers using them that showed where they can have great use.

I have done a Re-Design of this windmill.
Same Principal, But MUCH Simpler design and Better.

Unfortunately I Can't make a Proto of this new one using wood. And I only had a Small piece of metal to Test my new Idea. It WORKS Great.

When I get to Vancouver (Probably in September) I will be getting the pieces I need to build one.
When its Built, I will post it on my site.

As to the Present Proto, It does generate Reasonable power.
But Remember that Power on this design is mainly a Function of Wind Speed, Surface Area and Span.
So within Reason, Bigger is Better.

EDIT, NEED A GENERATOR:
Not Sure Whats Available in Most other countries, But in Canada and probably the USA, All newer cars have Electric Fan Motors to Cool the Radiator.

HERE in Canada, these are all Permanent Magnet Motors.
They make a NICE MAGNETO, with No alternations needed.

Drive them at a Reasonable Speed from a Windmill or Water Wheel and They Produce a good amount of Power.
The Ones I have produce a DC OUTPUT of about 10 volts or so and reasonable current.
And you could run Multiples in Series or Parallel for higher Voltage or Current.

Besides you can pick them up at Auto Wreckers QUITE CHEAP.

Enjoy....Gary

Last edited:
Update, Slow but Steady Progress.

I have now contracted two companies to make some of the pieces I need.

One is to get 100 pieces of: ".162 inch diameter, Straightened pieces of Spring steel wires and cut to 24 inch lengths". (Aproximate Cost $160.00)

The other is for some custom pieces made of .080 sheet aluminum for the special framework I have designed. (Estimated Cost $350.00)

NOT a cheap project, especially for smaller quantities of Custom made stuff.

My plan is to pick these up in Vancouver in early September.

Than I will need to manufacture some other pieces before I can put it all together.

Take care..... Gary

JTECH said:
:confused: Any further progress? This is like a good serial, but I'm still waiting for the next episode!

I Have the Materials now, and have started machining some of the bits and pieces I need, but its going real slow.
Too many other things keep coming up.

And in Feb, I'm going on a holiday to Chile and than Hawaii.

Sorry, guess I shouldn't have posted anything until I actually had it built.

Take care.....Gary

hope u have time to get it up and running...
specially since u spent that amount of money on metal pieces...
I guess I'm not the only one eager to see it "face the wind"
Keep motivated and good luck,

Unless LHC produces an Earth Gobbling Black hole I can wait.

hope u have time to get it up and running...
specially since u spent that amount of money on metal pieces...
I guess I'm not the only one eager to see it "face the wind"
Keep motivated and good luck,

I agree I like a good mystery. All things come in time just like my house renovations. If I'm still pulling out rabbit ears I guess I'll wait.

Have a good time.

kv :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back