Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My very first coil gun audioguru come

Status
Not open for further replies.

robotgangsta

i am building my very 1st coil gun it will use 10 450v 330uf caps wired in parallel 5 300amp scrs 1 diode and res. as needed i cannot find a 400v mains tranformer and if i dont my last option will be an inductor salvagd from a camera what kind of transformer can i use to get the necesary voltage beside 400v mains

limit $50 us currency 20 shall be spent on caps so that leaves 30 for everything else

Bear in mind that the peak value of your 400 Volts transformer is 564 Volts dc when rectified.
You need a minimum of 600 Vdc rated caps.

a 230 Volts TX will give you 324 Vpk and 323 Vdc after rectification.

Get one from a surplus shop. see your other thread.

Transformer manufacturers don't make high voltage transformers any more for the few kids who make coil guns.

Also note that the back emf from the coil will destroy the capacitors so make sure it's either critically damped.

You need to ensure that the current as decayed when the projectile has been ejected. This isn't easy, you'll need to play around with the capacitor size and inductance of the coil to get it working properly.

I did have a spread sheet I downloaded but I can't remember where I got it from and it's on my work's computer so I'll get it to you tomorrow.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back