Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My RC Car (Homemade tank) 56k'ers beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

pike

This is my rc tank that i built together and designed : Admins move this to robotics if nescessary.

Attachments

• batt-pack.jpg
    batt-pack.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 4,248
  • future-remote._salvaged_motorbatt.jpg
    future-remote._salvaged_motorbatt.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4,804
  • mill-lathe.jpg
    mill-lathe.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 5,097
Last edited:
hmm they wont lemme post more than 3 images. Here we go again

Attachments

• tank_cornerview.jpg
    tank_cornerview.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16,875
  • remote-gutz.jpg
    remote-gutz.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,609
  • tank-side.jpg
    tank-side.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 11,681
It runs pretty nicely actually. The suspension does however sometimes lock> it is a snack to run. Speed?? about 90m per minute.

*the neighbours can finally get some sleep.

Nah my cheappy camera cant take videos and it doesn't have a zoom function either. So it kinda stuffs it up when i want a closeup. but you cant see anything cuz my shadow is there.

I thought of that chainsaw blade idea but each chain costed $22 each. alot cheaper to use the $4 bike chains. There is almost nost traction on tiles and concrete. On grass though that is a different story!!!

These are the 2 webpages that i got my infromation mainly from. The principal in how the information is transmitted is just about identical.

Judging from your location you are interested mainly in the radio transmitter/receiver end yes??

RFmodules my friend 8)

O.K i found some of the diagrams that I drew along time ago:

These licence free radio modules are excellent!!!

Attachments

• rx_schematic.jpg
    rx_schematic.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 2,728
  • tx_schematic.jpg
    tx_schematic.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3,101
pike said:
http://www.lpilsley.co.uk/cybot/tx_picboard.htm

These are the 2 webpages that i got my infromation mainly from. The principal in how the information is transmitted is just about identical.

Judging from your location you are interested mainly in the radio transmitter/receiver end yes??

Interesting you used my old Cybot radio plans :lol:

It's not really a very good example of how to do it, as it uses plain (inverted) RS232, with no coding at all - but for this simple application it works fine, because it simply transmits the data continually.

Yeh i know its not the best way to transmit information. Range is somewhat limited compared if you used a shielded enclosure.

I didn't actually use your code to write it. I wrote it from scratch.

Thats why now i want to switch over to the amatuers band. and use higher power devices while staying in the limits. Thats why alot of remote control toys operate in this frequency range here. less power restrictions means more range and less malfunctions.

about tank

i really like your project when i saw it my heart blow.cause i've never build something like that cogratulation.can u send me circuits
and plans for this project

hi thre... old thread but who cares. it's still a masterpeace.

anyways those motors of yours, you got them from drills as you say, yes?
but what gears do you use? the same the rdill had or bought new ones or made yourself? i plan and hope to do something also in the summer and now i'm cathering information on everything...

also how much you spent on all that thing? over 1k$?

and about those nice tracs... where you got the wheels and those little toothgears? from a local bikeshop? do they really sell them seperately?

and with what do you control it? with a laptop? well i plan to do so using RF also and hoped that if you did control it with your laptop then maybe you could share your knollage with me :wink:

bloody-orc said:
hi thre... old thread but who cares. it's still a masterpeace.

anyways those motors of yours, you got them from drills as you say, yes?
but what gears do you use? the same the rdill had or bought new ones or made yourself? i plan and hope to do something also in the summer and now i'm cathering information on everything...

also how much you spent on all that thing? over 1k$?

and about those nice tracs... where you got the wheels and those little toothgears? from a local bikeshop? do they really sell them seperately?

and with what do you control it? with a laptop? well i plan to do so using RF also and hoped that if you did control it with your laptop then maybe you could share your knollage with me :wink:

hi bloody-orc, the drills already come with the gear reduction setup. I roughly spent $400 US on the whole project. Although come to think of it the cost of materials is $240; Wasted $160 in the electronics department developing the RF signals It was a huge step for me in the microcontroller field however.
I got those toothed cogs from my local bike shop. I had to get them ordered in for $9 US a piece. Thats ten there ($90!!!). To control it i made a RF transmitter. This is where most of the money drained away because i didn't follow the manchester coding required for the RF modules.

Lesson learnt- listen to nigel when he says 'use manchester coding!'
honestly though i kind of regret the project because the end product serves no practical use. It doesn't defuse bombs for law enforcement agencies, it doesn't destroy enemy terrorist radar systems, it's useless.

I was thinking of somehow remote controlling my lawn mower to stop my mum nagging me to do the lawn, or to do my home work blah blah blah... :( Or atleast make the chores more fun.

Pike would it be more useful if you had used tires??
i mean it probably slips a lot even when on concrete..
i'm sure you could devise some sort of rubber to grip the ground more.?..

So Pike, where did you get all this metal for the frames and everything? It sure beats wood and plastic.

A good place for metal online is www.onlinemetals.com

If I make a small robot I usually use diamond plate because it is cheap for 1/16
great price.

Also pike if you need assitance for a remote control lawn mower I can surely help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back