Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My project idea - transmitting and recieving and stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon_Ultra

Hi I'm new here and I know very little about electronics, so please don't baffle me with your technical jargon :p .

Anyway, I'm not intending to make the project anytime soon, but I would like to know how I would go about making it when I decide to.

Right, the idea:

Basically I know I need a transmitter with lots of buttons (10 would be good). I need also somewhere on the device where I can plug in the 10 seperate recievers and program them to different frequencies - assigning them to the different buttons (eg. first reciever to button 1, second to button 2).
When you press a button on the transmitter the right reciever will sound.

So press button 3 and a reciever that has been set to button 3 will sound.

These are radio transmitters by the way as I want the reciever to sound if you are not pointing at it.

There is a reason behind this idea but it's secret :wink: .

So how would I go about making the transmitter and reciever and what parts do I need, and how (generally don't go into detail) would I program the recievers?

You could do it easily with PIC's and UHF transmitter and receiver modules, simply programming each receiver PIC with it's own unique code, sent when it's corresponding button on the transmitter is pressed.

Even simpler (but really very similar), Holtek make IC's to do this exact job. As you are in the UK, you can get them at Maplin's, order codes AE17T and AE19V. You simply set the individual address for each receiver by connecting pins high or low. You can download a datasheet for them from Holtek, the page for these chips is **broken link removed**.

Hi,
if i understand ....u'll have one transmitter and 10 receiver???if its thats the case then why dont u use analog switch( search for analog spst)... they can be turn on or off from the buttom...when its on,it let pass the frequency.. I think i might help u and u wont need to do programing...but the only think i m not sure its how u can make one frequency can goto ur antenna becuz all ur output of the analog chip are connected to thhe same antenna

hope it help a bit 8)

Ok thanks for replying I'm sure if it's a success I'll mail you a few thousand pounds to say thanks :wink: .

You still overestimate by knowledge of Electronics. I am currently doing Electronics at GCSE but aren't too great at it. I understand the basics of PICs - I'm not to sure about IC chips though - are they just without the programming part?

The Holtek datasheet makes no sense to me whatsoever.

e.g. "The 212 encoders are a series of CMOS LSIs for remote control system applications. They are capable of encoding information which consists of N address bits and 12-N data bits. Each address/data input can be set to one of the two logic states. The programmed addresses/data are transmitted together with the header bits via an RF or an infrared transmission medium upon receipt of a trigger signal. The capability to select a TE trigger on the HT12E or a DATA trigger on the HT12A further enhances the application flexibility of the 212 series of encoders. The HT12A additionally provides a 38kHz carrier for infrared systems."

There are different parts on the datasheet, do I want all of them or one? If so, which one? Do all the different encoders do the same basic job?

You gave me two order codes - are they both ICs? Do I need both, and do they have different functions?

Finally, you say to set the address for the recievers you connect pins high or low. But how does this work for 10 different frequencies for 10 recievers?

Also, this product has to be extremely user-friendly, and I want recievers to be programmed simply and easily by the customer, without any electronics experience. I was thinking of a system that - when there is no PIC chip in the programming socket in the transmitter box, pressing the 1-10 buttons will broadcast the relevant frequency, and all recievers programmed to that frequency will sound. However, when a PIC chip from a reciever is in the programming socket (a light will go on to indicate the change in function of the buttons), pressing the buttons will instead program the PIC to that relevant frequency. Or, if this is too hard to have buttons having two seperate functions, then a different set of 1-10 buttons would have to be located on the transmitter box for the programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back