Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Project. I need Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnunez021

I need some help with a project. The project wants me to create a 7-Segment display using standard logic gates, AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. Any suggestions? The last 6 inputs on the table will be a period as the output. Help please!!!

One 7 segment display?

Logic gates?

You could make a npn/pnp transistor tester...

Questions:

First, what is a "Logisim"?
4 binary signals? Like BCD
Try a BCD to decimal decoder like the 7445
or the BCD to seven segment decoder/driver like the 7447.

were you getting a "c", reverse "c" a "u", and a 5 & 6 each missing the C segment?

Build logic to recognize
I3..I2..I1..I0
1...0...1...1 (11)
1...1...0...0 (12)
1...1...0...1 (13)
1...1...1...0 (14)
1...1...1...1 (15)

Turn on decimal point with that batch of logic

Last edited:
You need to blank the 7 segment display during those higher numbers and only turn on the decimal point.

You need another level of logic to recognize the numbers from 11 to 15 and exclude those inputs from reaching the display while turning on the decimal.

If you have the TTL Databook, it shows the logic diagram for the 7447, 74154 and the required logic gates. For the dot output, you can use a 7430 8-input NAND gate ( unused inputs tied to VCC or ground) with the inputs decoded to give a logic zero output, feeding the decimal point.

Here are some scans of an old Data book I have.

Hope it helps

Attachments

• 7430.pdf
    492.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 7447.pdf
    471.1 KB · Views: 199
  • 74154.pdf
    589.2 KB · Views: 194
Forget logic simulators. There are 16 possable input combination. Each segment lights for one or more of these combinations. Use AND gates to select each possable input combination for a particular segment. Then OR these outputs and run that to the segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back