Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

When I built a stick welder and changed it to a flux core spool gun welder it never really worked that well but it did work.....Maby its because I never used a mig back then.....I'll have to try it out again some time.

Anyways I took the circuit out of the old huge box and put it in a nice new box I bought a few months ago.

Here are some pics

**broken link removed**

It will put out 1.3 - 30V and a total of 2A

Great for electronics

I was going to put a digital volt meter on the front panel but there was no room for it....I'll have to make a custom case for it some time and then I'll be able to add that

The fan went on top because it would not fit inside with the big transformer and yes thats a grinder cord in the back. :p

As soon as I find the label maker I'll put those on.

From left to right on the main panel:

Fan/power switch....When the unit is plugged in flipping this switch will sent power to the fan to get it started.

Output Power switch....After the fan gets up to speed this switch will send power though the circuit and though the output posts.

Red/Black posts....output terminals.

Knob....Voltage control.

I was really hoping to get the fan on the inside and have that voltage meter on there but it just was not going to happen.

Hi
I dont know what youre welding, or how thick your MIG wire is, but it sounds and looks like your power supply is WAY too meager to handle ANY welding task - stick or MIG. Ive never seen any welding stick that would work with your power supply. You MIGHT be able to spot weld aluminum foil with it, after which you'll have to wait for your (1amp) voltage regulator to cool down. Your fan probably takes up most of the power this thing makes anyway!
A (stick or MIG) welding supply should be around 10 volts (no load) and at least 50 amps for even the smallest of jobs. Good luck building ANY kind of welder on a breadboard!!!

umm....i now own a miller TIG/Stick welder and a Miller MIG welder

i have all the welders i would ever need...this is for any electronic circuit...not for welding

btw i know the way MIG and tig/Stick welders work :roll:

btw#2 - when i had this on the stick weler it was only powering a spool gun motor so it was a wire speed control

it never made any of the power for welding...that was the microwave transformers in the welder itself

You had me on this one as well.

I thought it was for soldering via a micro welder.

I have a very small welder and it with anything else in the outlet will trip the breaker. If it is a wimpy MIG unit and will pull 15AMPs.

Could you post the schematic please?

What about a PCB?

Did you just use the bread board?

I don't know if those contacts can safely handel 2A, I thought they were rated to 1A maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back