Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My NiMH AA's arent supplying enough current, what if i use Nicads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpoopdog

Hi,

I recently built a small portable undisclosed device that primarily uses two power hungry components, a motor, and an inverter, the motor is rated at 3-12v, it operates fine so long as it gets enough current, the inverter i have, i know requires roughly 5v at 2A to run at full capacity.

My problem is i need to run both simultaneously and my NiMH batteries, although supplying sufficient power for both individually, cant handle both at the same time.
If i change over my 6 1.5V NiMH batteries with 8 1.2v NiCads, although the overall capacity is cut by 60%, will it supply ample power to both components?

Also, im thinking of getting these batteries **broken link removed**
It seems all NiCads are being advertised this way, as solar lamp batteries, does this matter? or are they all the same anyway?

Thanks

Generally, NiMh is better than NiCad. What you are asking is "do AA NiCds have a higher peak current capability then AA NiMhs?". I dont know, but I would get the manufacture's data sheet for both batteries and that would tell you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back