Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My next PIC programmer - A decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

atferrari

Most Helpful Member
I am currently developing with a 16F877, suffering the Picstart plus programmer, with almost 5 minutes for every time I want to change whether 2000 lines or just a byte in the program. The worst of it: I paid for that thing!

I started to read: ICSP, bootloader, parallel, series, USB, no-parts, HVP, LVP and after few days I am confused due to so much new info and by no means clear on what would be the replacement, thinking that the next micro could be, most probably, a 18F452 and the like.

I use also, the PIC replicator by Fred Eady but he seems having stop caring about his creation. No more updates available after F877, 628 and 629. Any change, even the biggest ones, take just 31 seconds! He says that source code is open but I couldn't see where to start to modify it, if such a thing is possible. SW I mean, not HW.

Can anyone give his view in all these, based in hands on experience on at least two? (I need comparison of different types, please). Theoretical especulations, to a certain point, I could do by myself

I am a hobbyist so, I think I should privilege something going fast and able to run in may bench's desktop under WIN98SE where MPLAB performs OK. Or eventually in my laptop with WINME without serial ports. (In doubt if I would really like this last option).

Sorry for the lengthy posting. I will appreciate opinions

Agustín Tomás

PD Or could I do something else with the Picstart Plus other than throwing it overboard?

Well I would advise keeping the PICStart Plus - or if you're throwing it out, throw it my way 8)

This is because it's the official PIC programmer, and has support well before third party programmers - and even supports the old parallel programmed PIC's.

For a faster programmer I would suggest the P16PRO40, a classic improved Tait parallel port programmer - use either WinPicProg (which is the fastest programmer software available, as well as being the first Windows PIC Programmer software), or ICProg (which supports more chips).

If you do a lot of debugging and such the ICD2 is nice, programs an 18F452 in just a few seconds too, will run you around $160 US, cheaper than the picstart +

if your program isn't very large, this explains how to only program part of the chip to save time.... it is near the end of the page.

**broken link removed**

I would recommend this **broken link removed**

Works great, costs low (Kit-34$) and supports 105+ PICs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back