Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my next little project

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickpin

Frequency/function generator with sine, triangle, square wave. Adjustable frequency (upto at least 100khz 1mhz would be good) and adjustable amplitude.
I want a frequency readout, LCD or 7 seg display.

Think thats everything, anything else is bonous.

So im sure someone on here has done a similar project? im trying to decide what components to use, all op amps? all in one IC package?

Basically im just looking for ideas/suggestions/opinions. I have only thought about it up to now so anything at all from you lot would be good.

The only thing i can see me having problems with is the frequency read out! im not that advanced with programming yet.

Search the internet, there are a bunch of function generator projects. I've been thinking about doing a DDS with an AVR microcontroller, but think it only goes up to 25kHz. I saw a huge variety, while searching. There are several chips that you can set the frequency digitally, don't remember the range, or if the amplitude was adjustable digitally on chip.

This is a good project. I built one years ago and still use it today, except that I never put the LED display on it.

I like the ICL8038 IC from Intersil. The Maxim Max038 looks interesting since it has a much higher frequency range. For frequency readout, I like the idea of using one of the many AVR or PIC development boards with an added 2 line LCD display and code this to count frequency and maybe to control the generator too.

yeh ive just been looking at the max038 it will go to 20Mhz aswell! looks like a good IC but its now obselete as Nigel says infact all the chips ive looked at are!. I dont really want to start this project using really hard to find (and expensive) chips.

Surely there are other (new) monolythic function generator chips on the market. Or maybe i should look at DDS

Nigel Goodwin said:
have all been obselete for years now.

Yeah, I guess I'm obsolete too. ..sigh.. Only good for management, and not much good at that.

Time to write my memoirs, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back