Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My new computing system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiTech

Apevia gaming case w/ 3 system monitoring meters, variable 5-fan control
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz 6MB cache/core 64-bit
2GB Corsair PC6400 memory DDR2/800
500w "fully protected" PSU (3 internal fans)
ASUS P5 nForce 650i SLI 64-bit MOBO 1333 Mhz FSB (highly overclockable w/ crashproof Award BIOS) and gigbit ethernet
(8) USB 2.0 ports (2) 1394a IEEE ports
320GB SATA 7200rpm HDD
nVidia GeForce 8600GT video card 1GB DDR2 memory 128-bit
12 in 1 media card reader/writer
Floppy Drive
Optical drive #1 OEM 20x dual layer DVD +-/RW CDRW
Optical drive #2 Lite-On 20x dual layer DVD +-/RW CDRW
Samsung 20" wide-screen LCD monitor 2ms response analog/digital
Altec Lansing Surround System w/ subwoofer
Logitech LX7 4-button, scrolling, cordless mouse
Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick
Logitech Quick-Cam webcam
Windows XP Pro 32-bit and 64-bit
Norton AV Corporate Edition
AdAware 2007 Pro
Nero 7 Ultimate
Everest Ultimate 4.5
Adobe Photoshop Professional
Win Office XP Pro
COST: $ 750.00 U.S.
**broken link removed**

Do you think this set-up will be adequate for web surfing, sending emails to Grandma, and perhaps playing on-line chess? I thought this system would be simple enough to accomplish the job! ;) ;)

This thing will run "Star Ship Enterprise"

Do you think this set-up will be adequate for web surfing, sending emails to Grandma, and perhaps playing on-line chess? I thought this system would be simple enough to accomplish the job!

Yep, I think it's perfect and when the grandkids come over you'll never get a chance too!

It'll be none stop game action ? Plus a lot of hooting and hollering. :D

I like the game stick. ......... kv

hi HiTech,

This is going to keep you busier than ever, looking at your Avator you still havn't swept up those vortexed leaves yet.!:rolleyes:

Enjoy.

Regards

I'm glad I've got a 4 year old games console to play my stuff on (Xbox). That way I know it will always play the games I like without having to fork out for new hardware every 6 months ;)

Oh I don't think this PC will go out of date all that soon. Processor makers seem to be stuck around the 3Ghz mark due to electrons straying off path in those tiny dies at higher speeds. And with SLI capability and a 1GB GPU, it's gonna be quite awhile until game requirements surpass that--- and even then the MOBO and the GPU card are overclockable to the hilt. The main thing is the low price I paid. I've looked and looked around the net and tried many configurations and always came up closer to $900 and way beyond for the same spec. system. I've been asking Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy for an ASUS mobo and Corsair memory... in the end I just had to take matters into my own hands!

you think those specs are good!!!

check out my rig!!!

AMD Sempron
Windows XP home
1.6GHz Processor (Thats a whopping 16,000Hz!!!)
200MHz FSB(HT Link)Quad pumped, so thats extreme!!!
DDR RAM (256MB) 166MHz (Now thats crazy extreme:eek: )
64MB Graphics (On board, Taken from RAM)
Solitaire
Hearts
Minesweeper
FreeCell
MS Paint

My computer:

AMD Athlon XP 2400+
windows XP Home
2.4GHZ Router (Cisco)
DDR RAM 2.5GB unknown speed
512MB 7300 Nvidia, so everything is pretty :)
IDE junk

You skimped on the video card...where's the 9800GX2?:D

Here's mine:
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard
AMD x2 4200+
Geforce 7950GT Overclocked Edition -- 512MB DDR3
2GB Corsair XMS memory.
2x250GB SATA2 Hard drives
1x500GB SATA2 Hard drive
TV Tuner card with HD compatability
Lite-on 18x DVD-RW burner
OCZ 700 Watt SLI approved power supply
...all wrapped in a beautiful silver Cooler Master CM Stacker 830:
**broken link removed**

Am planning on upgrading soon; maybe just some RAM, but I could use a new video card and mobo/cpu combo...:D :D

theinfamousbob said:
You skimped on the video card...where's the 9800GX2?:D
I had to stay within a budget and the components I selected should give me the highest performance for my dollar compared to similar systems at that price. I doubt that a pricey 9800GX2 or even an 8800GTS would improve my game scores any more than the 8600GT would--- the few extra score points don't justify the large cost differences IMHO.

Hey shaneshane1, lol!! :D If it makes you feel any better, I actually have a boat anchor in my basement that's a Pentium 266 w/ 512MB HDD, 4MB video card, 8x CD-ROM, 145watt PSU. I remember using a Radio Shack TRS80, 5" floppy, 12" B/W monitor, 48K memory, and best of all DOS!

let's see if I can remember what's in the other room humming away...

Thermaltake Xaser case (Blue/Satin Aluminium finish - very pretty)
6 fan speed controller c/w temp monitor, never needed to touch it
3Ghz AMD chip
Gigabyte NF4 board (nxp-9 something ?)
NVidia 6200 something (rock solid video output)
3GB DDR
320GB raid5 array (saved my ass a few times)
22" LCD display (old age aid)
A5 tablet (gadget)
Wireless KB & optical mouse

Print server with these hanging off it
HP 1022 printer
HP Photosmart 5100 something printer
Graphtec 5200 Plotter

In the rack...
Cisco 2610XM
Cisco 2610
Cisco 2610
Cisco 2522
Cisco 2511
Cisco 2950-24
Cisco 2950-24

despite all that crap, I'm sitting here tapping away merrily on my
Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop connected via usb to my mobile phone :)

rgds

HiTech, Just a bit of advice, i would take off Norton AV as soon as possible. It will speed your compy up to the max, and make your whole computer seem like a better investment.

Use AVG Free, if you need a good anti virus.

My System;
Shuttle XPC sk22g2 v2 (discontinued right after i bought it. :()
AMD Athlon 64 x2 (1MB L2) 2.6GHz
2GB Corsair Ballistix DDR2 RAM
250 watt PSU :)() It is a shuttle, though...
(8) USB (2.0... duh...), and 3? firewire ports.. too lazy to get up and look...
EVG nVIDIA GeForce 7900GT (256MB, PCI-E, 560MHz)
500GB SATA HD
DVD+/-RW (IDE... :mad:)
NO FLOPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ACER AL2216W 22" Widescreen LCD (2ms response?)
Logitech Z-2300 2.1 Sound System (can get the house shaking... :D)
Logitech Laser Mouse (wireless. No idea what model...)
Logitech MX3000 wireless Keyboard
Linux Ubuntu 7.10 (will be upgrading to 8.04 when it is released)
Linux Kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
Compiz Fuzion
Firefox 2.0.0.13
Cinelerra 2.1CV Video Editor
VLC 0.8.6c Media Player
GStreamer backend (crappy performance...)
Wine 0.9.46
DVD::RIP
K3B
Hydrogen
Ktorrent *
Azureus *
Blender3D

* and about 100gb of movies that i don't own... :D

Marks256 said:
HiTech, Just a bit of advice, i would take off Norton AV as soon as possible. It will speed your compy up to the max, and make your whole computer seem like a better investment.

Use AVG Free, if you need a good anti virus.
Hmmm interesting advice you put forth there. The NAV version I have is the Corporate edition w/ lifetime upgrades. Under the "running processes" tree I did notice a number of AV related items running. It seemed to me that its was the AdAware 2007 Pro/AdWatch that was the culprit to running my current PC on the slow side. And here I thought the NAV Corporate was a very good AV pgm. Am I gonna get the same protection and results from AVG Free? Typically those freebie pgms. are stripped versions of something much better that the company wants you to buy.
My present PC just had WinXP Pro reloaded in it last week. It booted and shut down quickly... that is until I loaded NAV Corp., AdAware '07Pro, and Win Office XP. Now it boots and shuts down as slow as it did before.

HiTech said:
Hmmm interesting advice you put forth there. The NAV version I have is the Corporate edition w/ lifetime upgrades. Under the "running processes" tree I did notice a number of AV related items running. It seemed to me that its was the AdAware 2007 Pro/AdWatch that was the culprit to running my current PC on the slow side. And here I thought the NAV Corporate was a very good AV pgm. Am I gonna get the same protection and results from AVG Free? Typically those freebie pgms. are stripped versions of something much better that the company wants you to buy.
My present PC just had WinXP Pro reloaded in it last week. It booted and shut down quickly... that is until I loaded NAV Corp., AdAware '07Pro, and Win Office XP. Now it boots and shuts down as slow as it did before.

Let me put it this way; I don't trust NAV. Here is why.
Every system that i have had to work on with NAV on it, i have taken it off, and installed AVG Free. Before which, i have run a scan with NAV. NAV rarely finds any viruses. In one case, NAV found none. Then, once i got AVG Free installed, i ran a scan. It found ~45 viruses and Trojans. :( I would call that pretty reliable. AdAware is bloated, too. Get rid of it. As for office Xp... try openoffice... :)

Actually, if you don't want to worry about viruses at all, just use linux... :) Or dual boot. That is what i do.... :) Ok, i am done preaching for the night... :D

Well maybe your luck isn't good w/ NAV but I can attest that it has intercepted plenty of viruses over the years of use. I also use AdAware Pro and it works quite well if you use the AdWatch feature. What I find difficult to believe is that AVG Free is barely capable of being something useful. Typically those freebie versions are stripped down pgms. that perform minimal functions as compared to their paid/licensed versions. Perhaps your NAV had problems?

HiTech said:
What I find difficult to believe is that AVG Free is barely capable of being something useful. Typically those freebie versions are stripped down pgms. that perform minimal functions as compared to their paid/licensed versions. Perhaps your NAV had problems?

I used to work for Mcafee between jobs the training gave my some insight. NAV is just a little brother to Mcafee.

The difference I was told is that Microsoft does work with Mcafee in helping to find and locate opening in the software. Microsoft develops a patch and Mcafee gets a new dat file along with the engine to remove it.

A friend of mine will not use either his kids are constantly downloading sh.......%&* from the INTERNET. NAV does slow down the computer as does Mcafee between the two NAV slows it down more. I was told there are thousands of viruses and trojans created everyday they will just give the ones they find a new extention and send it right back out.

Linux or Apple if you can.

Funny when I worked at Mcafee, NAV was in the next building across the parking lot we just laughed about it.

We just had to walk across the parking lot to get a job. But now it's all farmed out to India.

My friend likes AVG he said it got more viruses ? I guess ?

For me, NAV used to be pretty good about 7 yrs ago. Then it got slower and more bloated. Now I use AVG free and will continue until it too gets big and bloated. Then I'll switch to something else.

I heard that ClamWin is pretty good, but i have personally never USED it. I have installed it, but ever used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back