Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My new Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

It has been almost 10 years since my last Mans best friend passed, Well I would like to introduce the new addition to my family. Meet Hodgie. 8 week old Golden retriever.

View attachment 65211

Last edited:
I love dogs..... I always have spaniels.... He's cute I'd have him.... I take it he is still house bound ( until his first jabbs )

We have had him less than 4 hours, sleeping with wife at the moment, I need to get him before he go pee pee :)

I forgot about the poo and pee on the carpet. :confused:

Never had a puppy before, my dogs were full grown when I got em, so just exactly how do you potty train a dog?

I love dogs..... I always have spaniels.... He's cute I'd have him.... I take it he is still house bound ( until his first jabbs )

I have no idea what I am doing... I am afraid to go to sleep. One thing is for sure, I already love this dog. :)

Last edited:
The people that sold me the puppy said I can't take him for walks until he is older. Is that true??? I wanna take him outside.

The other way round

Wait until it takes you out for a walk. :)

They are vulnerable to infection before they get there first jabs... about 9 weeks. Then they only walk a few yards at a time... You'll end up carrying him

Potty training..... Best way is, when he does his business, put paper down where he goes... After one or two mishaps he will always go there as that's where the stink is.. then you slowly move the paper to the door... Then when he goes to the door to do one... Open the door and let him out.... two weeks max...

Well, this site doesn't look too bad: https://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/fastest-way-to-potty-train-a-puppy_834.html

I recently babysat a full grown dog and had one minor accident that was uncalled for when he was visiting for 10 days. One difference is that he doesn't have a fenced yard at home, but I got tired of grabbing the leash just to take him to the door, so I just picked him up at the appropriate time and put him out. There was a "schedule" to follow. Breakfast was at 6 am and dinner was at 6 pm and potty breaks were 1-2 hrs after eating. Definately knew "Are you hungry"? and "Go for a ride". "Bed" was troublesome because he sort of had two. His crate and the floor in my room. He always got a cookie when he went to bed or asked to go in his crate. Sometimes he would just go to sleep in his crate on his own. He was only crated when we went out although he would probably be OK in the house alone.

Congrats on the new addition.

Last edited:
Wait until it takes you out for a walk. :)

hi 9 of 10 aka Mike:rolleyes:

and make sure he brings you back home.!

Eric

Saw your Spider man pic's on FB!!!
Keep well

Last edited:
There is a wonderful story about the loyalty of dogs.

If you lock your dog and your wife in the trunk (boot) of your car and return two hours later, only one of them will be happy to see you. ;)

Mike.

Absolutely adorable puppy. Both of them. I have always been partial to the Golden Retriever breed. They are very loyal and make for excellent family pets. As to house training? Patience and working with the dog. Our last golden was Bear who started as a small ball of adorable fur and ended up peaking at 130 Lbs. Best of luck with the new addition I am sure he will work out just fine.

Ron

I have always been partial to the Golden Retriever breed. They are very loyal and make for excellent family pets.
Ron

I have a black & tan cocker spaniel at the moment.... It's freaking nuts.... It's definitely the loopiest dog I've ever had....

I wouldn't part with him for all the money in China though.... (Hmm.... would I..... No definitely not)

There are three dogs in the neighborhood that I say hello to while they are being walked.
a) A HIGE golden retriever who says hello by coming forward and circling. Apparently it loves to be cool, loves water, mud and a boat. Basically a silly dog.
b) An older female black lab. Loves to be petted, but can knock you over and always happy to see me.
c) Various German Shepherd puppies (female) in pre-training to be a service dog. Dispositions vary. Most like to play bite. A companion to (b). Seeing them both together is a problem. The goal here is to keep the new guy from jumping.
d) The new neighbor's dog could care less about anything/anybody. I think I got a sniff once.
e) Another neigbor has a dog, but you would never know it. It's not allowed on the grass.
f) A third neighbor had a dog. Likes to say hi and then explore. Oh, and he liked to lay on the trampoline.
g) There was one across the stret, but I can't remember much about him. Must have passed 10+ years ago.

I had two dogs, between the ages of about 0 and 16. The former was a Spitz and very protective of me. The latter was likely stolen and had a thyroid condition that required daily medication. Unknown breed. Supposedly a cross between a cocker spaniel and a Golden retriever. Curly ears and chest. Chest was white. Ears were a mix of brown and black. Coat was Irish setter straight-hair like.

Hi,

Oh yeah that's a cute pup there. I think they are mans best friend when the man is the 'owner'.

Not so cute when ya have to get up at 4am for a potty break. Every two hours I have to get up with the pup, we keep him in a kennel at night. Boy am I tired. I think he has a aptitude to be a rescue dog, he keeps playing in my rescue bag :)

hi 9 of 10 aka Mike:rolleyes:

and make sure he brings you back home.!

Eric

Saw your Spider man pic's on FB!!!
Keep well

Hehe Spider-man... I am now 9 of 22, we got 12 more guys, the owner expects a big contract, I may have Europe in my future :)

My neighbour's dog has a bell that he rings to announce that he needs to go outside. Maybe the bell can be connected to a door opener.
My dogs simply wait for the door to open (by itself?).

You have a cute new dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back