Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Linksys Router fried a resistor, can i rewire the traces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yokazuma0

My D-Link Router fried a resistor/zenor diode, can i rewire the traces?

(Dont know why i said linksys router in the title...i got too busy looking at others so it came out randomly, lol. dont make fun of me.) So my D-link router fried, well smoked, while i was unplugging it and plugging it back in. i have pics to show the fried part, and where the power input is. wondering if i can rewire the traces on the board with a new resistor. check it out:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

please help.

Last edited:
hi
if you are refering to the copper traces of the pc board, what you can do is follow the traces back to where they are intact...there usually is a coating over the copper traces which can be carefully scrapped off with an xacto knife
once the coating is removed, shiny copper will be revealed and you can solder the resistor to that

leave the leads of the resistor long enough to attach to the copper

hope this helps

well the resistor its self exploded into two. just noticed that. here is a closer pic, kind of bad pic, phone pictures are only good far away. curious if i can replace the resistor, and how would i know what size it has to be. next to it, written on the pc board is "ZD1".

**broken link removed**

If the associated PCB label says 'ZD1', then the part is probably not a resistor, but a Zener Diode.

This part is generally used in connection with voltage regulation on the board.
Either the diode itself was faulty, or more likely, it experienced an excessive voltage spike ....maybe lightning .....or some other external transient event ....

Note that Zener Diodes are 'oriented' .... that is they must be placed in the correct direction on the circuit board.

If you were able to determine the DC voltage at which the board operated, you might guess at the value of the ZD1 part ...

hmm, couldn't tell what it was because of the death and destruction that was bestowed upon it, lol. it would blown to bits. hmm, well it says on the case above the power input "5V". oh and "2.5A" also. dont know if that matters.

by the way i have never worked on traces or anything before. or with diodes. so please describe in the simplest way lol.

why would the zener diode need to be placed in the right direction? i thought they gave out the voltage, but also could reverse it back if there is too much voltage getting through.

why would the zener diode need to be placed in the right direction? i thought they gave out the voltage, but also could reverse it back if there is too much voltage getting through.

... see shunt voltage regulation:
Zener diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You might want to obtain a normal size discrete Zener Diode component .... not the surface mount variety .... and carefully clean up the solder traces on the board .....The idea being to just tack on the larger version with a little solder ..... There are probably other ways of doing this ....

.... not sure what to suggest as far as the value or current rating of the Zener Diode itself ....maybe 5 volts at 500 mw ....

.... Better if you could find a schematic ......

Get a magnifier of some kind ..... examine board for additional bad parts ...
anything discolored or burned .... something caused the ZD to burn out .....

Your "Linksys" router is a D-Link... Either way they won't provide you with a schematic. The good news is that old D-Link 802.11g is not expensive to replace.

Last edited:
.... not sure what to suggest as far as the value or current rating of the Zener Diode itself ....maybe 5 volts at 500 mw ....
Any way you can say, get a link to one on a site i can buy from, or information as to why a 5 volt at 500 mw. Dont have to if you dont want to, just would help me in fixing this.

....... Better if you could find a schematic ......
Pretty much impossible.

Get a magnifier of some kind ..... examine board for additional bad parts ...
anything discolored or burned .... something caused the ZD to burn out .....

I believe it could have been from me unplugging it over and over pretty much every day. i had xbox live and when ever i disconnected my xbox from my routers IP, i would have to reset the network to have the lan/internet connection renewed. also my house has lost alot of power, but it didn't fry when it did go out, dont think it happend anytime around the incident either. more info if you can please?
thank you very much for the info so far.

Last edited:
It probably isn't used for voltage regulation but over-voltage protection. The rated voltage will be at least 10% over the supply voltage. I would suggest a 6.2V zener but the the rest of the circuit might have been destroyed as the spike was so high it caused the zener to fail.

Just unplugging your router frequently would do no harm .... unless you observed sparks .... This should not be a concern ....

The critical damage must have been done when there was an electrical storm .... or maybe somebody ran into a power pole transformer near your location .... Maybe when you lost power to your house, the circuits within the router were 'weakened' ...and subject to 'reduced life'.

....even if you replace the ZD, there may be other defective parts that would prevent repair of device .... Inspect the individual parts ... resistors, capacitors, and carefully clean up the burned part on the board ....
If anything else is defective, you need to find it.

That said, it would be interesting just to replace just the ZD itself, as a test, and see if the unit powered up ......

You will have to go to a local electronics parts store to get the ZD part ...
.... I would try 5V @ maybe 1 watt ... ....no, I'm not sure, but 5V won't hurt anything.

You could order the part from an internet parts house, but you would be billed for shipping .... to excess....

One other item to consider ...You need to obtain a voltmeter, and measure the DC voltage to ground at the original ZD part location on the circuit board.
This is a measurement with the unit plugged into the power adapter ...
If you do not see any voltage on the meter, then there is no point in buying a replacement zener diode.... Something else has in fact been damaged ....and you will have to fix that, whatever it is, before you install the ZD.

Last edited:
Before you go shopping for the diode, check to see if the fuse (F1) is blown. I'll bet that it is. Did you accidentally plug in the wrong adapter to your router?

i had faced some problem with my 4 port DLINK switch..the voltage for the supply is actually 7.5V but my brother plug in with adapter 12V..now the DLINK switch cannot work anymore..can anyone help me how to fix it? is it the component inside DLINK switch defected? i'm looking the fuse..but there is no fuse on the circuit board..

Last edited:
Thanks christe and travis. The only problem, is i dont know what the hell a continuity meter is and how it works or where to get one for the cheapest price. If you know the cheapest one that will work, please give me a shout. New to electronics and trying to get to know them better.Also, would i have to get a certain zener diode? are there sizes? thanks.

Im going to take pictures later of the whole board as close as i can so you guys can see good quailty pic close up. i followed the traces and looked throughout the board and saw nothing else that look damaged...well to my eye. thats why im going to take pics and see if you guys spot sumthin i didnt, seeing as i dont know what each unit originally looks like, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back