Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My JuneBug is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Just had my JuneBug delivered, really excited - I can't wait to get started.

As this is a "PicKit2" clone can someone point me in the direction of some documentation as how to make best use of this kit.

I am a little nervous as the books I have read only deal with the 12F\16F MCU's, I get the feeling that the 18F is a different animal, the notion of assembler doesnt worry me ( I used to code Amiga Demos in my youth) but I would hate to kill off the chip 'cos I havent got the dip switches in the right position (or is this virtually impossible).

Best Wishes

Mark

Most of the PIC stuff about is 16F series, as there's a LOT more 16F's out there than others - the 18F is relatively recent, and is programmed more in C than assembler.

PIC's are very hardly devices, it's difficult to kill them - I've never managed it yet! :D

UTMonkey said:
I get the feeling that the 18F is a different animal, the notion of assembler doesnt worry me
18F's are much easier to program than 12/16F's, so don't worry. Pretty much no more bank switching. Tables are simpler.

I would hate to kill off the chip 'cos I havent got the dip switches in the right position (or is this virtually impossible).
I think it's impossible. Having lunch right now - will look later.

Wohoo, downloaded a blinky LED program and it works. I havent seen MPLAB before but it is fairly intuitive.

How do I get the JuneBug running the program without entering the debugger?

p.s. Nigel, saw you in Tesco's yesterday, I wasnt sure if I should come over and say Hi - I'm not stalking you, honest!

You can run the Tutor (once programmed) by flipping the DIP switchs 1,2 & 3 off. This disconnects the programmer from the Tutor, it's also how you use it as a regular programmer (the ICD connector).

If you want something fancy try Futz's Junebug demo (search these forums). You can program the tutor, then with switchs 1 thru 3 off and 4 & 5 on (RX, TX) you can run the PICkit 2 softwares UART test.

Last edited:
UTMonkey said:
Wohoo, downloaded a blinky LED program and it works. I havent seen MPLAB before but it is fairly intuitive.

How do I get the JuneBug running the program without entering the debugger?

p.s. Nigel, saw you in Tesco's yesterday, I wasnt sure if I should come over and say Hi - I'm not stalking you, honest!

Yes I was in Tesco's, you should have come over and said HI! :D

I was in Chessy again tonight, my daughter was singing at Donut again, and I'll be there twice on Friday!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Most of the PIC stuff about is 16F series, as there's a LOT more 16F's out there than others - the 18F is relatively recent, and is programmed more in C than assembler.

PIC's are very hardly devices, it's difficult to kill them - I've never managed it yet! :D

I have! Just run 15kV through it :D

I am going to order some parts tonight for my Junebug :D

Bill, I have switched the tutor off but it doesnt run, it is connected to my USB. is there anything obvious I am missing.

Nigel - You do a lot of travelling!

UTMonkey said:
Bill, I have switched the tutor off but it doesnt run, it is connected to my USB. is there anything obvious I am missing.

Nigel - You do a lot of travelling!

Try this.

With first three switches on.
debugger>select tool>none
programmer>select tool>PK2
build program in release mode.
Program PIC
Do programmer>release from reset... pic should run
if that works open the three switches and it should run when power is applied

As 3v0 said, when in Debug mode MPLAB makes a special program that resides in upper memory. Switch to program mode, build and program. Also don't use the DEBUG_ON config statememt (it's automatic with MPLAB in debug mode)

Nigel Goodwin said:
Tell me about it! - got to take her to Chessy again tonight, then fetch her back later on and take her to Lea Bridge! - just an unpaid taxi driver! :p

Ah, the fine line, between bragging and complaining. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back