Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My Inverted Pendulum is (mostly!) finished!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravix

Edit: Website at **broken link removed**

Hey everyone, just thought I'd share my latest project with you. I covered a lot of firsts with this project, including:

* First use of a microcontroller
* First H-bridge design
* First time etching a PCB
* first time working with any kind of PID control system

This has taken me a LOT of time, so without boring you too much, some videos of my inverted pendulum will speak for themselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gysUdohsIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ki5nadC8H8

This forum has helped a lot (especially bill with his Inchworm help!), and I have to say it was a thrill to build/troubleshoot this. Building this was like working with lego's, but.. better!

I know its not perfect yet, I need to spend more time tuning it so it doesn't spin as much.. but I think 99% done is worth showing off. I'm going to post a bunch of pictures/info later, but I wanted to share while I was still high on success! :) :)

Last edited:
That is amazing, wow. Well done and many firsts!

I was thinking of putting a page on my site with users projects and kits (like a showcase)
What do you think?

Last edited:
Well done, that's brilliant.

Can I ask, does it get more or less stable if you add weight to the top of the pendulum? I'm guessing more stable.

Mike.

Neat. I like how you stuck it with wheels on a turn-table. More weight at the top will make it more stable, but at the same time it also makes it harder to correct if it destabilizes.

I'm a bit curious why it spins continuously and even speed up? Shouldn't it stabilize and then drift slowly?

Thanks for the responses, and sorry its taken me so long to update you again!

I finally finished the website for my inverted Pendulum:

**broken link removed**

There is a new movie with improved operation at the bottom, and lots of pictures :)

I was thinking of putting a page on my site with users projects and kits (like a showcase)
What do you think?

I think thats a great idea. I'd love to see some of the projects you hear about. :)

I'm a bit curious why it spins continuously and even speed up? Shouldn't it stabilize and then drift slowly?

That was just a sign of improper tuning. I've spend more time with it and it no longer drifts.

Can I ask, does it get more or less stable if you add weight to the top of the pendulum? I'm guessing more stable.

I am afraid to test it with much more weight because the physical construction isn't as solid as I'd like it to be. Theoretically though, it is easier to balance with more weight at the top.

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back