Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My GIFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

This year for christmas, I got a cold-heat soldering iron. More details can be found here:

**broken link removed**

It takes 4 AA batteries which makes it a nuisance for me, because I don't solder anywhere else.

What I want to do is be able to use a DC adapter that provides 6V, and that does not damage the unit.

As for the batteries, What is the maximum current that is provided from 4 batteries in series?

Once I know that, then I could use a 6V adapter and use enough resistors to match the current. right?

The point is that I want a power adapter to function exactly the same as 4 AA alkaline batteries.

I suggest you use a voltage regulator to ensure you supply the right voltage. A low drop out one would be desirable.

The 6V adapter probably has poor regulation so it may be 8 or more Volt when open circuit.

You could measure the current with a multimeter.

With all the post You've made in these forums, mstechca, I'm sure your pulling my leg.

This is so simple.

You must be bored.

I would do similar to ljcox.

Have fun.

Here are some conservative power ratings for good quality alkaline-manganese dioxide batteries available at the local grocery store.

Battery Type Capacity (mAh) Typical Drain (mA)
D 12000mAh 200 ma
C 6000 100
AA 2000 50
AAA 1000 10
N 650 10
9 Volt 500 15
6 Volt Lantern 11000 300

The battery capacity will be better with lower drain currents. To determine the battery life, divide the capacity by the actual load current to get the hours of life. A circuit that draws 10 ma powered by a 9 volt rectangular battery will operate about 50 hours: 500 mAh /10 mA = 50 hours The cell voltage of alkaline cells steadily drops with usage from 1.54 volts to about 1 volt when discharged. The voltage is near 1.25 volts at the 50% discharge point. Alkaline cells exhibit a slightly increased capacity when warmed and the capacity drops significantly at temperatures below freezing. Mercury and silver oxide batteries have nearly twice the capacity as alkaline batteries of the same size but the current ratings are significantly lower. Alkaline batteries also have good shelf life making them ideal for home-made electronic projects.

I hope this helps.

Santa gave you a toy soldering iron that was discussed here or on another site.
Its 800 degrees F is too hot for soldering, but since it has a very low thermal mass which allows it to cool quickly then its actual temp depends on the size of the object being soldered. Too hot for small joints and too cool for big ones. The opposite of the temperature-controlled soldering iron you need.
It pumps a lot of current through the gap in its tip that can easily fry semiconductors.

If you want to know the current and voltage provided by batteries then go to www.energizer.com . Click on Technical Info for detailed spec's for all their battery cells and chemistry's. They even show that their premium extra cost alkaline cells have exactly the same specs as their cheaper ordinary ones.

Tomorrow morning Loblaws has a Boxing Day sale for Energizer alkaline batteries. I'll be there to select the newest ones since some have been in the stores for years.
Canadian Tire has a clock radio for $.99. I'll be there too.

There better be more then one clock radio, other wise you may be out of luck.
I need one too.

Why did'nt I think of putting the link to energizer batteries???

It's late .

Good night.

Last year I was the 1st person in the lineup to buy my new pc when the store opened, so in a few hours I'll be the 1st again to get a crappy clock radio that I'll use for its parts.
Last year the guy in front of me at Loblaws to get Energizer batteries got the last ones, the store's staff bought the rest before they were open. I had to pay a dollar more at Canadian Tire, still a very good deal.
Then I'll get the chocolates that are on sale.

mstechca said:
It takes 4 AA batteries which makes it a nuisance for me, because I don't solder anywhere else.

What I want to do is be able to use a DC adapter that provides 6V, and that does not damage the unit.

There was a guy who tried this before. It may sound simple but if I recall, trying to use an adapter was impractical due to the unusually high power. The circuit worked because it basically shorted out the battery to draw huge currents, more than a simple cheapo transformer would even be capable of.

If you have electricity for the transformer, you have electricity for a real soldering iron!

Oznog said:
The circuit worked because it basically shorted out the battery to draw huge currents
Its soldering iron tip is actually the end of a red-hot battery cell?

Put that much current through a fragile semiconductor juncion while using it to solder and you'll have some smoke. The smoke won't come from the "soldering iron".

There is a soldering iron out there that uses ultrasound, to solder semiconductor joints.
I know for a fact that it runs on frequency.
But thats about it.
Anyone know if it can be homemade?

Here is what I mean

**broken link removed**

Anyways just a thought.

Have fun with your gift.

looks very interesting and ... priceless :lol:
we used few times ultrasonic welders on our machines and they are expencive and somewhat delicate.

hjl4 said:
There is a soldering iron out there that uses ultrasound, to solder semiconductor joints.
I know for a fact that it runs on frequency.
But thats about it.

Reading the link, it's a conventional soldering iron (presumably with an element?), the ultrasonic part is in addition to the soldering part, and removes the need for flux - thus allowing you to solder normally non-solderable materials.

Sounds damn clever though!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back