Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My first wiring project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarrenT

I'm looking for material to run a single 20A circuit from my box in my basement to my garage which has no power atm. I've gutted and rewired the entire house with no problems but the book i've been studying out of, " Residential Wiring" doesn't really have much detail on this. My local code guy said i didnt need a sub panel but i did need a main shutoff switch. Also i should add that i want to run it overhead. I'm not sure what kind of wire i need. Something like a SWA? I'm not running any other wire i.e. phone or other low voltage. Any help is appreciated. Also...if i dont need a subpanel would the wire coming from outside into the garage be ok to go strait to a RCD? coudln't i then branch off to my 20A duplex gfci and switch for light? Sorry for all the questions but this is the ONE situation i've been stumped on.

By the way you say
I've gutted and rewired the entire house with no problems but the book i've been studying out of
this is worrying, mains wiring in a house is loaded with potential hazards and the way you say 'the book ive been studying from' it sounds like you've just decided you'll DIY. I cant recommend this, what I do recommend is either getting a licensed electrician to help, or contacting somebody with more experience and safety expertise that I, or anyone on this board. These are meerly my suggestions, but this is hazardous enough that a little suggestion could save you or your families life.

best regards -mike

I'll second Mike's comment on enlisting the service of someone who is qualified simply because we don't know what you know.

As far as the material it sounds like 12 ga wire is appropriate however the intended load might change that. A heavy load and long distance may result in excessive voltage drop in which case you increase the wire size. Got to go a long way for this to happen but it's worth mentioning.

I could be mistaken but Romex is probably best used where the wiring won't be exposed - behind walls, above the ceiling, etc. If the circuit will be exposed then PVC or EMT conduit might be best. BX or armored cable is ok, I think - it's a little more expensive but could be easier to use than conduit in your application. It would seem that residential wiring guides would address something like this - maybe a better book is available that you can borrow.

On a few occasions I've enlisted the aid of an electrician but because I am cheap I do the bulk of the work - establish the path for the wire, conduit, etc and maybe even install the conduit, boxes, etc. Not sure if a working pro would work with you this way but they might.

Well i've been studying as a "DIY''er for over a year now and the book i'm studying is a book used in a residential wiring course near where i live and outlines the residential wiring part of the NEC 2005 edition. I know ppl have issues with DIY'ers but where i live its perfectly legal for me to do the work myself and with the inspection of a "professional" I do not feel as though i'm putting my life at risk. I've takin into consideration the voltage drop. But i from what i've researched, i was under the impression that you would run a 60A breaker(maybe even a double pole 60a so that i would have to hots once i reached the garage) and then the appropriate sized wire. Which i would have to check my book ;-), but im pritty sure that the distance which should be less than 75 feet is not enough to up the size of a 6/3 60amp wire. Thx for your inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back