Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

my first PCB layout help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bababui

Hi

I need some pointers on making a simple pcb layout, to get a board manufactured for my school project. I have it on paper, but having trouble making a layout on a computer. The board has a 28 pin DIP, serial connector, 5v power plug, some resistors and caps. I tried using EAGLE but I can't find the library for the serial port, or a 28 pin chip. I thought EAGLE was hard to use because it doesn't show coresponding parts picture next to their names in the libraries. Also can someone tell me if I have to make a schematic before making a layout, or is it ok to just jump to the layout.
Any help appreciated,

Do not be put off by the problem with the Eagle parts lib. Take the time to learn to use it. Do the tutorial as Ayne suggested. Eagle is a very popular progam to layout boards. You can find a lot of projects that are done with it.

It is very much better to make the schematic first then the board. If you do a schematic, Eagle will help you make sure the board matches the schematic. Airwires.
Also be sure to learn to use the schematic check and esp the DRC design rule check. In the DRC set you restring value for the top, bottom, and vias to at least 35.

Does that help ?

The DB9 for RS232 that I use is in CON-SUBD Device F09HPS.

The resistors and caps are in Lib RCL (resistor, cap, inductors) Choose either R_US or R_EU for resistors and C_* for caps, CPOL_* for polorized caps etc.

I can not help you with the 28 pin chip because you did not say what it was/ Or even if it is a dip or sdip.

Ayne said:
A beginning tutorial to Eagle PCB Board Editor
**broken link removed**
Hi,
I just came accross this article, is the software "free" for all to use without any restrictions?
M Bansal

According to CadSoft's website these are the restrictions on the free version of the software. None of these limitations are particularly severe for a hobbyist or experimenter. Splitting projects up onto more than one board is a simple work around if you need just a little bit more functionality, past that purchasing the software isn't overly pricey if you really need it.
[FONT=Helvetica,Arial]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica,Arial]
The following limitations apply to the EAGLE Light Edition in general:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Helvetica,Arial][/FONT][FONT=Helvetica,Arial]
  • The useable board area is limited to 100 x 80 mm (4 x 3.2 inches).
  • Only two signal layers can be used (Top and Bottom).
  • The schematic editor can only create one sheet.[/FONT]

Last edited:
ATMEGA88 library

Thanks alot for all the advice. It really helped, because now I think I have an Idea how to start with EAGLE.

Does anyone know where I can find the library for atmel ATMEGA88 CHIP?
EAGLE comes with alot of atmel chip ligraries but not this one.

thanks

After you get the board done, and assuming your version of Eagle will make the Gerber files for manufacturing, you can try uploading your Gerbers to the freeDFM utility, at http://www.4pcb.com . It's great. Their boards are great, too. And the whole process is almost painless, there, even for a newbie.

Or, if you don't want to spend the $ for a PCB fab house, you could try it my way, as described at **broken link removed** . You can make bare-bones boards in less than an hour, for almost nothing.

It's too bad you didn't try Easy-PC, instead of Eagle. Easy-PC is much easier to use, IMO, and is a much more capable program. It's by Number One Systems, at http://www.numberone.com . They have a free demo. But I don't remember what its restrictions might be.

You should be able to easily create a library component for the 28-pin chip. It's easy to do with Easy-PC, anyway. I've never tried that, with Eagle. If you can't make an actual library component for it, you could, as a last resort, just lay down solder pads in an appropriate pattern.

Good luck.

- Tom Gootee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back