Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My first circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have come up with a concept for my first electronic circuit. It will be a portable electric burner that runs on rechargeable duracells or cell phone battery. please any direction on this project wiil be helpful. Advice; input welcome.

what's the intended use? warming a cup of coffee or cooking a 3-course meal? heating applications generally require a lot of power. you might want to think more in terms of "car battery" instead of cell phone batteries.

I have a coffee warmer that plugs into the USB port of a PC. It was given as a free gift from HP when I bought their Laser printer.

Allen

Full course meal, but compact. It would for somebody who's traveling on a bus, plane, train, or just commuting around town. It would inspire/provoke a simple new form meal container. The containers would be sturdy yet lighter than conventional tin cans. Or the packages could even be some flexible foil or cartridge, we can go SciFi.

Come on, we all have to agree protein bars and shakes are getting old and inhumane. By the statements from a sf we can agree this thing would be probably a plugin or USB adaptive.

That's great, but I'm sure such a concept could surely use further insight, it defintetly hasn't be truly commercialized. Do you have one? Does anyone on this thread have one? In this mobile age can't we all say we could use one at times?

The added cost and space seemed to be unpopular with consumers, Campbell's featured them a few years ago but they didn't catch on.
If you're camping you want light and compact (high density), if you take it to work you probably have a microwave nearby. Nobody's going to want to carry around a rechargeable battery or a 12VDC power adapter. They're mostly a novelty item or gimmick, when they cleared them out of the stores near here for $7 I still didn't want one.

Inside is a thermal fuse and heating coil. Sort of like a toaster has.

LOL. Poppycock.

Popular these days are Microcontrollers like the PICs or Arduino. You basically build things in firmware. But if wires are your thing the old 555 is a very versatile.

If you want something interesting and heating food is of interest try to build a Sous Vide cooker.
https://seattlefoodgeek.com/2010/02/diy-sous-vide-heating-immersion-circulator-for-about-75/

My goal for my first circuit is to design an electronic system that would resolve an everyday nuisance or drag. I agree due to current energy density levels of conventional battery technology that a portable electric burner isn't practical.

I'm interested in both electronics and computer technology equally, but a novice in either fields.I have other concepts, the just have to be assessed.

Finding something missing in everyday life that you can build is no easy feat.
Does your first product have to be useful? Usually folks go for educational.

Hi,

We had a very bad storm here last year where the power was out for several days so no cooking or heat or anything. I realized the thing i missed the most was hot food and drink, so i went out and invested in some various things that could help out in this area.

The simplest was Sterno. That is a can of fuel that is lit with a match and it can heat a can of soup or small pan with something in it like canned ravioli, with the addition of a small stand to hold the can or small pan up over the can of Sterno. These stands are available on Amazon for instance for around 12 dollars USD. It is not as simple as the Hot Can soup but it can do just about anything that can be heated or cooked in a small pan. It wont roast a hole chicken though for example.
Price is quite reasonable too.

For somewhat bigger things i finally broke down and bought a Coleman stove too. That cooks anything that a regular stove will cook. They have a single burner version too that only has one burner and takes up only about 1/8 square foot of space to store. Burner on both of these items gets just as hot as a regular stove. I cooked hamburger for the test and it came out pretty nice using a mess kit with a small frying pan.

If you are looking to spend the least i would say Sterno is hard to beat. You should be able to heat at least four cans of soup with one regular can of Sterno, maybe more. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Having had many so called coffee warmers via USB from promotions, there simply isn't the power available to keep coffee warm. Maybe to stop it freezing, but that's all.

MRE heaters..... works by a chemical process, by adding a tablespoon of water.... dimensions are 8"x5"x1/8"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flameless_ration_heater

notice that one of the products of the reaction is H2, so no smoking....

if you are looking for a battery to make an electric heater with a smaller form factor, a Polaroid film pack battery might do the trick..... **broken link removed**

MREs...no electronics involved. Lots of choices of commercial self-heating products.

Google: self heating meals

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back