Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

My brain or my chip which is defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desperate one

i am a newbie with a question regarding a 74ls14 Hex Schmitt Trigger Inverter. i have connected 5volts to pin 14 and hooked pin 7 to ground. what do i have to do to pin 1 to get a high 5volt signal out of pin 2 for that matter same scenario pin 2 high to low? i think i have tried everything. is my chip possibly fried or is my brain. thanks for any help

If you have applied both a high and low to pin 1 with no change at pin 2, then your chip is defective. What is the voltage at pin 2 while you alternatively connect pin 1 to pin 7 or pin 14?

If you ground pin 1 pin 2 should be high. If you put +5 on pin 1 pin 2 should be low. If you leave pin 1 open who knows. :)

Logically all that this chip does is invert so that when the input is low, the output is high and vice-versa. Did you accidentally put more than 5v on pin 14? Is the chip backwards? Can you try another chip?

I agree your chip is probably bad. But just for a sanity check, connect all unsued inputs to ground and repeat your experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back