Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Must I use Pull-up / Pull-down Resistors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre1

Hi
I want to use the 3-line to 8-line decoder chip, SN74HC138.

It has three enable lines - G1 (active high) and G2A and G2B (both active low). Since I want the chip to be permanently enabled, I want to tie G1 to 5V and G2A/G2B to GND. But do I need to use pull-up / pull-down resistors, or can I tie the pins directly to Vcc or GND?

Many thanks for your response,

Andre

I think you can just tie them. Pull resistors are only used so that the line has a passive default state that can still be changed.

If the inputs aren't high impedence (ie. a bunch of current will flow through them if you just tie them), then you need a resistor to limit the current. You probably don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back