Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Multiple serial ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSGarcia

I was looking at a few past posts on the subject but I still have some questions for my particular application.

The short question is: are there alternatives to the MAXIM 3100 (nice features: FIFO buffer, serial interface between the chip and the PIC, low pin count, simple)? When I ordered other MAXIM parts in the past, it was a hassle and a long wait for the parts. I would rather use something off-the-shelf stocked in the US.

I have the following requirements:
1 high-speed output data stream (as fast as it will work)
1 high-speed input data stream (as fast as I can listen)
1 low-speed input data stream (9600 BAUD max)
1 low-speed bi-directional datastream (9600 BAUD)

The high-speed streams will have a maxium distance of 30 meters (100 feet), but I can use any drivers/receivers I want.

The low-speed ports must be RS-232.

None of the serial ports will use handshake lines, just one transmit and/or one receive line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dale

Got to OCTOPART.com and search for "uart SPI interface"
It looks like Newark and Digi-Key has the Maxim3100.

If you do the same search on Mouser you there seems to be some NXP parts that may work. You did not say anything about packages.

3V0,
Thanks for the advice. I didn't know the Maxim parts were available from Nwk and DK. The last couple of Maxim part numbers I used were only available through Maxim--the distributors had part numbers listed, but non-stocked.

As far as package, I would like to prototype with dip, but for production, I would like the smallest surface-mount solution possible.

Thanks,
Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back